SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 - 900S non-turbo automatic. I have been searching threads and have not been able to find a definative answer to; What is the proper trans fluid to put in a 900s non-turbo auto? Maybe there is no right or wrong fluid. I read a thread that said Dextron III, others said use Type F. I am going to do the change out - drive-a- day and re-change method. If there is Dextron in the vehicle now, what would happen if Type F was changed. Also how many quarts are needed? ( I know, I know, I should probably buy a Bentley ) - but the forum is more fun :D

Oh by the way, some one suggested using motorcycle fork oil for the convert top pumps-- did it ---!!! works great !! :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Banned
637 Posts
Borg Warner transboxes REQUIRE type F.. this NOT some whimsical requirement.. the Friction co-efficients are entirely different.
There have been literally thousands of documented failures of BW boxes from the use of other than type F.
Your Trans.. your $$$.. You decide.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
To change the fluid, remember that 1/2 of it stays in the converter when you drain it. Refill after draining, drive for a day or so, then change again.

I get my fluid (Type F!) at Wal-Mart; it has to meet the same specs as the brand-name stuff, so I wouldn't expect problems with it. Get 2 of the large packs (they're either a gallon or 5 quarts, can't remember ;oops: ).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Transmission fluid

Right you are on the specs of type F, however remember that in order to meet the specs you have to meet the minimum specs, thats it. Amsoil excedeeds the minimum specs. Not all products are created equal. This is on of the only products that I have ever used that you can feel the difference in shifting. The transmission is much smoother, runs cooler and last alot longer that other fluids.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ATF fluids

LOL no its not an ad. I am a distrubitor of Amsoil (Amsoilguy, daaa) I am sold on the products, might be because I have a Volvo with 239,000 mile with minimal engine wear, this is not snake oil Amsoil was the first company to make synthetic oil way before Mobil 1. We all love our Saab's, hopefully I can answer any questions that our members may have on the products. Sorry for the commercial guys

·
Banned
637 Posts
Oil is a Religious topic. Mobil 1 IS the the industry standard... and one of the V few genuine synthetics.
Delvac... (google) Highway/commercial version comes in 'better for yr Saab' Viscosities.
Freqency of oil changes is the essential element to long engine life.. that and minimal abuse etc. etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mobil 1

As I said Mobil 1 is a very good oil. It also has a very large marketing department. I know I live in Fairfax Virginia (Mobil1 Headquarters) Marketing does not protect engines. Quality base oil and a quality additive package are the keys. Look at the data from the attached test. I used to use Mobil 1. It is a question do you want the best product available for your Saab.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts