SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done one drain and fill, with the intention of following up a couple more times to have mostly new fluid.

How many miles do you guys recommend between the three fluid changes?

Also, I'm using Valvoline Dexron III compatible (non synthetic).

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
A trip around the block is probably sufficient. The auto trans is a big fluid pump - it's all getting circulated all the time.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I prefer to pull off one of the cooler hoses and change all of the fluid at once. The second post in this thread has the WIS method for doing that:

Edit: The position of the cooler hoses on the 9-3's 4-speed transmission are reversed compared to their location on the later 9-5's 5-speed. You'd want to pull off the one on the right, instead of the one on the left.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anyway. This could probably go in the 'Stupid questions' thread: So why does everyone stuff around doing incomplete auto trans fluid drains several times?
Why don't we all just drain ALL the fluid from the drain plug and drain from the cooling line as well to get a complete drain as per WIS? (And please clarify, which line is the correct one for an OG93, front or rear?)
Or is it that we'd need the dreaded Tech2 as it mentions in that WIS? Why not?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It's a bit annoying to get one of the lines off a 9-3 and collect fluid coming out as the subframe is in the way. It also means running the car while it's up in the air, which is understandably intimidating to some. While you don't need a Tech 2, it's desirable as the only true way to know if the transmission is properly filled is with something that can read the transmission temp. Draining a fixed amount from the drain plug and refilling that same amount isn't perfect as it's predicated on the transmission being properly filled to start - but these boxes are not prone to leakage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right... So the level gradations on the level stick for HOT and COLD are virtually useless then. (You wonder why they even included this level stick then). If the level stick was any use, one could drain all fluid, top up to correct level as shown on the stick, run the car for a short while, then top up to the correct level using the gradations on the level stick. (Why would you need the Tech2 !) No such luck obviously, I'm living in a dreamworld, where car engineers designed cars for the REAL World, but nothing could be so simple on my lovely Saab!
(Sigh!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chose to do the multiple drain and fill method for a couple reasons. The fluid was still red, but a bit on the darker side, so it had most likely already been fully changed or flushed at some point in the past. Secondly, I just don't enjoy spending more time than necessary under cars, so I'll stick with the quicker method.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
No, you need the dipstick. Cold is useful for the initial fill, and hot is used when Tech 2 indicates the transmission is at 80C. You definitely need those marks. The reason you need Tech 2 is that the transmission can vary a good 20C when "hot" and that will show up as +/- 1/2" or more... a fair amount. IME if you start the car cold and let it idle for about 30m, you're pretty close to 80C... but Tech 2 (or another tool that can read the TCM) is obviously preferable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I chose to do the multiple drain and fill method for a couple reasons. The fluid was still red, but a bit on the darker side, so it had most likely already been fully changed or flushed at some point in the past. Secondly, I just don't enjoy spending more time than necessary under cars, so I'll stick with the quicker method.
I'm intrigued to know how doing the drain 3 times can possibly be "quicker" than doing it one time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It takes about 15 minutes each time. Don't have to jack up the car. Don't have to fiddle with old cooler lines. Quick, easy, less to mess with, and you still end up with very clean fluid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All right but I couldn't get under it without jacking the car up. Though now I've made a couple of low ramps so that'll make it easier.
Now I've got to mortgage my house to afford the Dextron 3!! (I'm in Oz btw). -12 litres?!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jool - Try Penrite 'Purple' at Repco or Super Cheap Auto. It meets the requirements you'll need. I used it when I changed my ATF at Christmas time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jools -
2 x '4 litres' should be enough to start with, If you want to do the 3rd 4 litres thats up to you. Dont forget to find a new washer as well. I sent you a PM as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry. Thanks Jeremy for the clarification for others.
When I did mine at Christmas - I used a drain / refill / drain / refill process. So I only used 8 when I did that.
So technically .. I have some old ATF fluid, but I can live with that for a while - as my car doesn't get a lot of daily use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts