SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a filter swap something I could myself or is it something I need to get done by a pro. I had a fluid flush 10k miles ago but I still get very rough shifts..

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
FlyPenFly said:
Is a filter swap something I could myself or is it something I need to get done by a pro. I had a fluid flush 10k miles ago but I still get very rough shifts..
I do not know about the filter - this may be a thing of the past.
Find a good transmission shop ( good luck).

Research "Auto-RX" and "trans-rx".. and , of course, Bobistheoilguy..

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is no actual filter in this transmission, its more of a screen. I have slightly rough shifts too. I put in Auto-RX in the transmission and ran it for about 1500 miles and then flushed it. The shifting is much softer now. You should probably do the same, as oxidized fluid and sludge in the transmission can cause rough shifting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You could drain it yourself but you will only be draining about 33% of the fluid and it would be a messy job. The best is to do what you did in the past and get a flush with a machine. That exchanges 100% of the fluid. What I suggest is going to auto-rx.net and buying a bottle of auto-rx. Put it in the transmission fluid and drive about 1500 miles. This will clean the transmission and hopefully get rid of your rough shifts. Then after the 1500 miles, flush it using a machine. You should be set for another 30,000 miles after that.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
FlyPenFly said:
So transmission Fluid is something I can change myself then? My fluid is still a pretty color and hasn't shown a brownish tinge yet.
IMO, it does not need to be changed.
Newer auto-trans have different requirements, a screen, no filter.
Of course the screen is a filter, but the service requiremwnts have changed...
I hear many good things about Auto-Rx, and it does make sense..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in Lucas Oil transmission additive (i know i know) so hopefully it should be ok with that. So I'll pick up a bottle of this, do they have this anywhere at a Advance Auto or some place similar?

And I guess I'll have the flush done again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts