SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car for a few months and have been afraid of driving it due to fear of additional problems. I'm a new member and outside of this board, I know no other saab owners (year, hard to believe isn't it).

The car seems to run and shift fine otherwise. The problem is that there is a delay of about 2 seconds between park and drive. When the car shifts, it shifts very hard and lurches forward. The transmission is the automatic with the steering wheel shifter option for clutchless shifting.

What I've tried so far - I check the fluid level to find that it was quite low and also, the fluid color was more brown than red. Not know what to do, I added ATF fluid (from local saab dealer) and nothing changed. Local Saab mechanic wanted approx. $5,800 for a transmission repair. Another non-Saab mechanic wanted $3,500. I didn't even pay $5800 for my saab and I don't have the $3500 to invest in this car. I've heard of this problem in some Ford Explorers and it turned out to be a "computer"/"Sensor" issue (depending on who you talk to).

I hope someone on here can help. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
There is a Saab TSB out on this fault no 440.2497

Symptoms are delayed/hard shifting between P - D.

Cause is inertia in valve housing valves (SLS, SLT)

Fix is a modified valve housing (part no. 5449780)

Hope that helps. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent!! Never expected to have someone nail it on the first response. I've pulled the TSB and you're right, explains my problem. Now all I have to do is fix it.

Any recommendation on a good Saab Online Parts Supplier?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a Saab TSB out on this fault no 440.2497

Symptoms are delayed/hard shifting between P - D.

Cause is inertia in valve housing valves (SLS, SLT)

Fix is a modified valve housing (part no. 5449780)

Hope that helps. :p
Excellent!! Never expected to have someone nail it on the first response. I've pulled the TSB and you're right, explains my problem. Now all I have to do is fix it.

Any recommendation on a good Saab Online Parts Supplier?
I am having the same issue with my 2002' 9-5 aero, with the hard shifts into drive occasionally, also i can do a semi aggressive acceleration and can cause a shudder between shift of 1st to 2nd. my first question is to kermit and that is what is the "saab tsb"? second question is to tnsaabguy and that is did you resolve your issues with tranny? thank you
-Loone

·
Registered
137 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. A notice that goes out identifying a problem with specific vehicles and how to fix the problem. Not a recall, though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Valvebody is $704.03 from gmpartsdepartment.com

Not a cheap fix, but better than $3500.

You may also be victim of the idle rpm having been upped to reduce engine vibration at idle, as this will increase the park to drive jolt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For what it's worth, I was having occasional hard shifts into drive. I checked my transmission fluid. It was a little low, so I topped it off and it was fine. A few months later, it was happening again, and I would have some harsh downshifting. I checked the fluid again and it was low and getting dark. I paid $200 to have the fluid flushed/changed and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts