SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Because she did not have a car, and I needed my truck for work, I loaned my daughter my '99 9-5 Wagon--4 cyl turbo,auto trans. She isn't the best at maintaining any car, and I am out of town and cannot check the trans level. She tells me that reverse gear has stopped working in the 9-5. The shifter will move to it's correct spot for reverse, but reverse doesn't engage. My question is- could this be a lack of fluid or is it more likely to be something much worse. I know the level should be checked, but I'm not there so cannot be assured it has been done. After 200K miles I hesitate doing ahy sort of trans flush, but maybe that should be the first step. Any experience with no reverse, and any advise??

Thanks in advance
danlay
Norcross,ga. USA

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Well the first thing that needs to be done is to get the codes read. In the meantime till you get home. Tell her to go to a parts store and they will read it for her.

Ask if the shift indicator on the dash follows the shifter as she moves it. If not its the NSS. Ask her to turn the key on, foot on brake and run it up and down the gears and start it in neutral. If reverse works then it the NSS.
Doubt it is low fluid.
Next step is the solenoid in the transmission.
Actually not a big deal but she will need a qualified shop.
http://www.rostratransmission.com/manuals/Form5250A.pdf
or the actual cable itself under the shifter which is bit more of a problem. But in the end I dont think you are looking at a new transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts