SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it all. It is okay in 1st and 2nd, acts OK in 3rd, but in 4th in 5th, it sounds like a grinding noise in the trannsmission in low rpms and going up a hill. It almost feels like a clutch wont release from the gear (I know it's an automatic I'm just trying to reference something). I am getting no codes and for some reason the faster I go the better it shifts. What is worn that needs replacing? Would the wrong transmission fluid cause this?

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Torque convertor locking/unlocking?

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
No, mines pretty bad some times.

Changed from what?
Was it performing differently before? Mine will bog when I hit steep hills and don't give it enough throttle until it decides to downshift.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it performing differently before? Mine will bog when I hit steep hills and don't give it enough throttle until it decides to downshift.
When I first got it everything was fine. The past month or so is when it has been acting up.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
When I first got it everything was fine. The past month or so is when it has been acting up.
Hmm, that's not good especially since it's a 2003. Not much you can do, maybe give it a drain and fill and cross your fingers. Perhaps someone else can help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, that's not good especially since it's a 2003. Not much you can do, maybe give it a drain and fill and cross your fingers. Perhaps someone else can help.
Yeah I'm going to flush it out with Toyota Type IV. I'm hoping the dealer I bought it off was stupid and put something else in there that shouldn't be in there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've looked into the same problem before and I think it's just engine lugging. The car gets below optimum RPM for the load. I've just been giving it more gas because it's probablyu inefficient (and maybe bad for the engine) to be under load like that. I can't find anything suggesting that there's a problem with the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I should caution that there's about 2039571235 definitions of "lugging" out there. The definition I'm using is leaving the car at an rpm too low for the speed, leading to some roughness.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've looked into the same problem before and I think it's just engine lugging. The car gets below optimum RPM for the load. I've just been giving it more gas because it's probablyu inefficient (and maybe bad for the engine) to be under load like that. I can't find anything suggesting that there's a problem with the car.
There is no load though? Like I said, it hasn't done this before, just the past month or so.

I should caution that there's about 2039571235 definitions of "lugging" out there. The definition I'm using is leaving the car at an rpm too low for the speed, leading to some roughness.
There must be something worn... or falling apart. I dont think they would make a car that can have some "roughness"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well the car has a tiny 4-banger beneath that turbo charger, so it needs higher RPM's at those speeds (4th and 5th gear as you mentioned) or else it will kick a little bit.

If it's really bad in yours, maybe a coil pack is going or the plugs. I've also heard that the coolant temp sensor could be going bad meaning that the CPU thinks the engine is colder than it is, so it pumps it full of more gas than it should. At higher RPM the engine can handle it, but at lower RPM it bucks. Something to that effect. But I've never tested the theory. Because this only happens when I'm in 4th or 5th gear and accelerating very lightly i've always attributed it to the RPM's being too low for the speed. So for the last 50k miles I've just given it a little more gas when accelerating on the highway than I had been, and so far so good.

Long story short, my "fix" for this problem was to stop driving like a little girl.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the car has a tiny 4-banger beneath that turbo charger, so it needs higher RPM's at those speeds (4th and 5th gear as you mentioned) or else it will kick a little bit.

If it's really bad in yours, maybe a coil pack is going or the plugs. I've also heard that the coolant temp sensor could be going bad meaning that the CPU thinks the engine is colder than it is, so it pumps it full of more gas than it should. At higher RPM the engine can handle it, but at lower RPM it bucks. Something to that effect. But I've never tested the theory. Because this only happens when I'm in 4th or 5th gear and accelerating very lightly i've always attributed it to the RPM's being too low for the speed. So for the last 50k miles I've just given it a little more gas when accelerating on the highway than I had been, and so far so good.

Long story short, my "fix" for this problem was to stop driving like a little girl.
Haha, I certainly don't drive like a little girl, but, if you have had this same problem for that many miles, i'll just run it. I will check the plugs later this week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts