SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i just bought a 88 900 turbo i drove a few 900's with 5 speeds probably the weakest feeling tranny i have ever felt. I was just wondering how much horse power an auto tranny could hold. My uncle has an SPG turbo 5 speed i noticed my tranny will keep you in a better power band and doesnt lag as bad as his. I love manny trannys just dont feel safe with the saab 5 speed and big hp.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i dont know what you mean by big hp, but if you dont drive like a dumbass and keep your balls in check through 1st and second, the trannys actually hold up pretty damn well. a lot of people in this forum are making in the 230-250 range and have tons of miles on their trannys.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Krautkid said:
Hey i just bought a 88 900 turbo i drove a few 900's with 5 speeds probably the weakest feeling tranny i have ever felt. I was just wondering how much horse power an auto tranny could hold. My uncle has an SPG turbo 5 speed i noticed my tranny will keep you in a better power band and doesnt lag as bad as his. I love manny trannys just dont feel safe with the saab 5 speed and big hp.
I can boot the throttle in my 81 turbo which has a T37 3-speed auto trans and it's takes everything in it's stride. Admittedly the car isn't intercooled (yet) and only gets up to about 8 to 9 psi before pre-detonation starts but I like the fact the auto transmissions are really tough. My 89 16V and the 83 900S which is currently unreg'd all have autos and they're all good (except the one in the 900S had band slippage when really cold so it's up for some trans servicing if/when I re-reg the car again next year).

Craig.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Krautkid said:

Its more of an issue of the gearbox case flexing to the point where internals become mis-aligned and then bad stuff happens. If the case didn't flex you could get tons of power through it.

Alternatively, tuning the engine to produce lots of HP high up in the rev range, and low amounts of torque low in the rev range will definately extend the life of a 5-speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts