SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This can be done if you are a very experienced mechanic/engineer AND have a complete donor car of the same era...

As can be seen, this will be expensive - It would probably be cheaper and far easier to buy the entire car..,IMO.
I installed a V4 into a '60 93 - a fairly easy task in comparison - these older cars were so easy to work on..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I agree. Unless you do the work yourself, you are looking to some ridiculous amount of money. A standard transmission swap is about 6-8 hours. You are asking for changes to he firewall, the ECU, the shifter area in the cabin, the covers in that area, etc. I am not ever sure that it would even bolt right up. So the bolt patterns might by an issue too, I am not sure of that, theoretically, it should bolt with ease, but it is all the other little nuiseances that will make this a very costly project.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yes, its definatly the little things that make this swap so daunting.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Toma0926 said:
ok so i guess that's out.

how much torque can the standard automatic transmission take?
Really do not know; I think this same unit is also used on the Volvo 850...
We do have a excellent auto-trans, at long last. ...The A-W 50-40LE ATF temperature must be monitored during heavy towing or racing - a higher capacity oil-cooler is in order, along with the temperature sensor/gage setup..

·
Registered
380 Posts
earthworm said:
I installed a V4 into a '60 93
If I had deliberately destroyed the heart and soul of the finest car SAAB ever made, I would certainly not brag about it.:roll:

Shame on you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts