SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You have to buy the gear shaft casing from a manual and simply remove the ignition barrel from automatic box casing and plug it into the manual box casing. And take care of the wiring near the battery - there you have to connect two pairs of wires, one pair takes care of the ignition and the second of the cruise control sensor. Additionally near the baterry connect also the wire to the reverse sensor, which will be on the manual transmision. Go throught WIS wiring diagram, and you will know what to do. One tricky thing, when looking at the diagram, you may thing, that you will need to run a wire from the engine bay to the clutch sensor (for cruise control). You are wrong, you simply in the engine bay connects the wires together and you connect the clutch sensor in series with the brake sensor. Just make sure to connect it in series with the right brake sensor, as there are two - check the color wiring in WIS.

To add the clutch pedal, you will need to take out the whole dashboard, there is no shortway here. Everything is in WIS good documented. It is not easy to the out the automatic brake pedal, but the only difference in them is the size of the part which you press by leg. You can simply cut it in car to the size of the brake pedal in manual cars.

You can live in car the whole automatic wiring, there is no sense and no easy way to get it out. Just unplug the automatic control module.

Hello,

I'm at the point of 'starting' the swapped over engine and transmission from this above mentioned process (brought the forged engine and many do-dads over to an auto shell) and I'm having a hard time trying to 'jump' the NSS; I have the ecu and key from the original car, and I'm not getting 'key error' on the SID, so I have a hunch that the lack of crank (at all) is due to the missing NSS.

Does anyone have a WIS on hand and / or know these wires to be jumped off hand? I am acquiring a copy now, but was just hoping someone had the pinout's off the NSS connector of which wires to jump to get the starter selenoid to do it's thing; The reverse light pinout would be a sweet bonus!

Thanksm,
Benjamin

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Been poking at it, jumpered a few things, no dice.

I used the engine wiring harness from the 5 speed (2000) and the 'body' harness from the automatic 2001. At the connection of the two, I just noticed that the body harness (female aspect) has a connection for a large post on it. The matching FEMALE aspect of this connector has NO post on it, that is, from the 2000 5speed engine harness.

Went and looked at the waiting harness on the automatic 2001 engine, and presto, this female connection has the post to correspond with the body harness.

Any idea what this discrepancy may be about?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
you need two things:

1: the reverse lights ar switched in the NSS, on the manual there is a reverse switch. you need to get into those two lines. But you should be able to hack up the wire that goes to the connector under the battery.

2: the neutral lockout for the starter. The circuit is different for the auto and the manual. the WIS shows the difference, I think you an jump under the dash board or you can jump the two wires on the connector under the battery.

The WIS can help you identify which wires, but if you have the auto wiring harness you can certainly trace them back.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I want to swap my auto for manual as well. I would like to see a walk though of this done though.

And for all of you that say sell and buy a manual. Saabs are rare enough to find in an automatic. And a manual is even harder to find then an auto... so simply selling an auto to buy a manual is to say... dont buy a saab cause you'll be lucky to find one. These cars are so reliable and sporty and fun that no one in their right mind would sell one... and all the 5 speeds are owned by people that actually drive this car and would never dream of selling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I want to swap my auto for manual as well. I would like to see a walk though of this done though.

And for all of you that say sell and buy a manual. Saabs are rare enough to find in an automatic. And a manual is even harder to find then an auto... so simply selling an auto to buy a manual is to say... dont buy a saab cause you'll be lucky to find one. These cars are so reliable and sporty and fun that no one in their right mind would sell one... and all the 5 speeds are owned by people that actually drive this car and would never dream of selling.
This has been coming more so the case especially as time passes. The automatic cars also tend to be in better condition typically. If you look at the EPC you can get a list of exactly what is different between a auto and manual car. Also if you contact saabparts usa they will give you the same list. It's not a hard swap from what i've seen but time consuming. There are definitely much more difficult cars to do this conversion to.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This has been coming more so the case especially as time passes. The automatic cars also tend to be in better condition typically. If you look at the EPC you can get a list of exactly what is different between a auto and manual car. Also if you contact saabparts usa they will give you the same list. It's not a hard swap from what i've seen but time consuming. There are definitely much more difficult cars to do this conversion to.
Yeah, I got to drive a saab viggen last week at work... and ohhhh... I love the saab manual trans. i know the viggen is a bit different tranny wise... like I cant bolt a viggen tranny up to this car... but I cant imagine the normal saab 5 speed being any less fun.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would say the thread is no longer on-going but there are lot of other threads about this out there too. You are looking at the cost of the transmission plus probably another $700-$1000 for the parts you need for the conversion unless you are lucky enough to find a wrecked donor for cheap (clutch, pedals, slave/master cylinders, shift lever, etc.). If you want to build it beefy with a quaife LSD and better gears you are in the neighborhood of around $5000 or at least that is what Drunkythebear is quoting in his thread for the build up.

On the other side of the coin there is a place called level 10 transmission that builds up these Aisin trans for Volvos that can handle 500-700 hp for $3300 and your core. I've yet to look into it but since it is the same trans in the 9-5, I plan on looking into that route when the time and budget allows.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Saab kept providing manual transmissions until pretty much the end.

Converting an auto car to a manual makes no sense, unless you're looking for a one-off--like making a manual trans 3.0 V6 car. And we haven't heard much from that project lately, either.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
SAAB did make manual trans cars right up to the end, but good luck finding one!

Production numbers were super low in the last few years. I just ended up with 08 Aero wagon AT after searching far and wide for an MT. After looking at production #'s it appears SAAB only produced ~60 MT 9-5 Aero wagons for the US market!!! That was 10 years ago. So I figured I'd give the auto a shot and I'm really struggling to enjoy it (after driving 5spd Aero wagons for the last 7 years). I'll run it for the winter, but unless something drastic happens and/or I lose the use of the left leg, I'll be doing an MT swap in the spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i do not have time to answer fully now but i did this swap it was really easy.

you do not need brake pedal only clutch pedal.

for brake pedal you just cut it little and put rubber pad for a manual thats the only difference.

i did not change my cv axels???
Can someone help me? i crashed my 2000 aero stick and bought 2000 aero auto wagon so i have everything i need pls help!

·
Registered
531 Posts
iT SEEMS LIKE yoiu have all the parts. As someone with a 2000 Saab Aero wagon stick, it is a very worthwhile swap. My parts cars was a 2001 with the 5 speed so there was no conversion. I did use the Genuninesaab.com shifter which is worth every penny of the $150 USD and the precision shifter mechanism conversion which is also a must. You send in your old mechanism and all the slop is removed with a combination of high precision steel ball connectors [not plastic] and other modifications.

I had my transmission rebuilt as it was noisy from the donor car. Mile-High in Denver did the tranny and we put in a Quaif differential which we needed to control torque steer because we have just under 300HP from the hot rodded engine.

As you know the stick 5 speed is really worth while. Good luck and I think the people here can help you a lot.

I am very knowlegeable with the shifter and mechanism end of things, and will be happy to help.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts