SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
since everyones response is to sell the car and get a manual i figured id try and put together a parts list for those that would rather find information instead of the same thing over and over.

sooo, from what i can tell youll need the following:

manual transmission from a 9-5, the viggen is supposed to be a slightly different casting.
clutch pedal and brake pedal from a manual 9-5
clutch master cylinder from 9-5
clutch slave (same as 9-3)
hydraulic lines
youll need the shifter barrel or tunnel, or whatever its called from the manual 9-5 or 9-3? the pics ive seen, they look identical, i think the center console trim is the same and all youll need is a shift boot, but im not certain.
youll need the CV axles from a manual 9-5
you need to unplug the auto computer from the cars ECU and have the computer reflashed as a manual i believe
youll need the manual transmission mount

does anyone else know of anything else, or anything that im wrong on?

thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like a pretty big job, but I'm glad someone is going through the steps to make the swap. I'd much rather manual swap my auto 9-5 than sell it for a manual one.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Not worth it, sell it ( I know you heard this already but apparently are not listening)

You do nt need to do anythign to the ECU the car is smart enough to know if is a manual or auto based on detecting the auto computer ( that you will delete)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not worth it, sell it ( I know you heard this already but apparently are not listening)
I'll let Sluice speak for himself... but I've heard all this before. I appreciate your opinion, but shouldn't it be my call whether I swap a trans or swap a car?

If you could see the rarity of a clean 9-5 5-spd in Kansas, you might understand.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
I'll let Sluice speak for himself... but I've heard all this before. I appreciate your opinion, but shouldn't it be my call whether I swap a trans or swap a car?

If you could see the rarity of a clean 9-5 5-spd in Kansas, you might understand.
Oh I understand, I bought mine from the internet, super clean low miles 2003, cost less than what you will spend in parts I am sure

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got a good deal on my auto 9-5 and I can't find a 5spd that I can afford. I have however seen 5spd cars on craigslist and eBay for cheep with bad motors and intend on buying a donor car in the spring. I need an auto now seeing how I'm having knee problems and will be going under the knife fall/winter. After I know my clutch foot is back I'll be doing the swap. I'm sure for some people it's easy to just buy and sell a car but if you can wait for the parts and buy them when the cash is available it's the beter choice for some. It is an individual opinion and I respect it as that. Please do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been there, done that.

You will not need to reflash the ECU. If the car is before 2006 you will need to change the speedometer, if after 2006 you will need to reprogram by tech2, to manual + program in a VIN from a car with manual gearbox, so that the ESP module would not think by the VIN number, that it is an automatic. If before 2006 only change speedometer + programming, you will not need to cheat the ESP module.

Additionally you will need to do small changes in the automatic gearbox wiring next to the battery - you will know what to do when you look at the wiring in WIS.

You can live the current cooler, just disconnect the lines for cooling AT oil.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Been there, done that.

You will not need to reflash the ECU. If the car is before 2006 you will need to change the speedometer, if after 2006 you will need to reprogram by tech2, to manual + program in a VIN from a car with manual gearbox, so that the ESP module would not think by the VIN number, that it is an automatic. If before 2006 only change speedometer + programming, you will not need to cheat the ESP module.

Additionally you will need to do small changes in the automatic gearbox wiring next to the battery - you will know what to do when you look at the wiring in WIS.

You can live the current cooler, just disconnect the lines for cooling AT oil.
What about NSS. Is it eliminated completely including wiring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have to buy the gear shaft casing from a manual and simply remove the ignition barrel from automatic box casing and plug it into the manual box casing. And take care of the wiring near the battery - there you have to connect two pairs of wires, one pair takes care of the ignition and the second of the cruise control sensor. Additionally near the baterry connect also the wire to the reverse sensor, which will be on the manual transmision. Go throught WIS wiring diagram, and you will know what to do. One tricky thing, when looking at the diagram, you may thing, that you will need to run a wire from the engine bay to the clutch sensor (for cruise control). You are wrong, you simply in the engine bay connects the wires together and you connect the clutch sensor in series with the brake sensor. Just make sure to connect it in series with the right brake sensor, as there are two - check the color wiring in WIS.

To add the clutch pedal, you will need to take out the whole dashboard, there is no shortway here. Everything is in WIS good documented. It is not easy to the out the automatic brake pedal, but the only difference in them is the size of the part which you press by leg. You can simply cut it in car to the size of the brake pedal in manual cars.

You can live in car the whole automatic wiring, there is no sense and no easy way to get it out. Just unplug the automatic control module.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i didnot need to remove dash board to install clutch pedal but i think i had to separate the braket in to parts then you can dril to make a bolt fit there to tight or just make smal welding spot.

about electrical part:

newer changed my spedometer the p n r 123 indicator just stops lighting when you disconnect gearbox tcm,

to make the car run you only need to shorten two wires near the batteri where nss where connected as mjaza already said.

to make rear lamps turn on when putting reverse i had to take connector from a manual.

a que to mjaza.
never got my cruse working and i thought the wires has to be connected under the stearingwheel,
if you connect in series will not the brake light turn on when you press on clutch??
can you explain more about how to connect properly clutchpedalswitch? plzzz

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Way to go! Love it! I would be one of those guys suggesting you sell, but heck with it just go for it and take pictures along the way. I don't know what it takes to get a auto salvage license, but try to get into the insurance auctions and buy another 9-5 with a 5-speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are two sensors on the brake pedal, one for lights, and one for cruise control (or rather information about braking to the ECU). Just make sure you place the clutch sensor in series with the one for cruise control.

But without adding the clutch sensor cruise control will also be working, just when with cruise engaged you will press the clutch pedal, the rpm's will rise until cut-off, as the ECU is not taking the power of the engine, while the load is off.

And additionally there are also 2 wires near the baterry that you need to connect together. Check the wiring in WIS and the trionic, and you will know what to connect together. I would guess that you forgot about those 2 additional wires. But there may have been some additional changes in the wiring over the years which i don't know off.

I also thought about installing the clutch pedal, without taking out the dashboard, but I wanted to have it exactly how it is originally installed. And removing the dashboard is not so hard as it sound in 9-5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 05 aero and an available 01 or 02 aero parts car are there any diffenaces between the years?

......i havent been on here in a couple years and i tried posting with my old user name mikey-g but it wouldnt let me anybody know how to get that acount active again?

·
Registered
158 Posts
This may not pertain specifically to the 9-5. However, several years ago, I converted my Mustang from an automatic to a manual. In hindsight, it wasn't worth it.

There were a ton of parts that seemed to nickel and dime me. Afterwards, my whole gauge cluster lit up with lights that I eventually had to pay $350 for a tuner to disable the codes that the OBDII was giving.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

You do nt need to do anythign to the ECU the car is smart enough to know if is a manual or auto based on detecting the auto computer ( that you will delete)
What is the average life of the clutch w/normal to moderate use before replacing it on these cars?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I recently and very luckily inherited a '93 classic 900 Saab S turbo with an automatic gearbox. I love the car but the 3 speed automatic gearbox is frustrating me because on a 80mph motorway limit I am at more than 4000 rpm and it makes me cry how much the fuel consumption is.

The other reason is that, call me a purist, but I prefer controlling when I shift the gears myself.

So I am really interested in your thread, but I have a couple of questions
1- Will replacing the automatic gearbox with a manual gearbox have a significant impact on the fuel consumption
2- I am not a mechanic (far from it) and so how much would I need to budget realistically to have someone take care of this ?

I really appreciate any feedback I could get from you. The reason I do not want to sell it and buy another with manual transmission is for sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has there been anymore information of this topic? I Just cam across an 03 aero for $500, no engine and bad auto transmission plus an assortment of other problems I already fixed. I have all the necessary skills and tools to preform the swap but just cant find enough information to get it done. I can fix anything on a 9-5, but have never swapped a tranny. I just want to add it to my list of skills and be able to say ive done it. If anyone has anything that can help plz message me!

p.s. I know how easy it would be to sell an auto and buy a manual, BUT I WANT TO DO THE SWAP, so dont reply to tell me to sell my car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are there different gearboxes and clutches (aero vs diesel for example)? Diesel should have lower speed gearbox and quite a nice upgrade? Don't have wis and epc here to check at the moment ..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts