SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm planning on doing a manual conversion on my 1999 93 and I want to make sure I've got everything I need.

Stuff I have:
Transmission, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
Axles, intermediate shaft and bracket (have from manual car, but I'm thinking they are the same?)
Shifter/linkage
Clutch pedal (any other pedals need to be replaced? maybe brake?)
Cable clutch wire (but I'm looking for a hydraulic system)
All necessary wiring

Stuff I'm not sure about:
ABS (Tech II fix?)
MIU (Tech II fix? I might buy a manual one since I don't like the auto version. Tech II divorce/marry? I'm a newbie, not sure how that works)
SID (Tech II fix?)

Any other concerns you guys have?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the conversation a few years ago.

You need a shorter brake pedal. You can cut it or buy a manual one.

ABS and SID are the same, but you need to use Tech 2 to update the settings to manual.
You need a manual MIU, or else the MIU cant communicate to the auto tran and the auto tran warning light will stay on. But for me, I just took the MIU out, remove the auto tran warnings light bulb.

The most important thing is to remove the auto tran control unit behind the glove box. After you remove it, the ECU and other electric stuffs will think it is a manual car. Then you can change the ABS SID settings using Tech2.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bobssabit:
My Saab is going to be completely T5. Do you know how similar the T5 is to T7 regarding the information given in the first link? Also, photo.platonoff has always been very helpful, thank you.

Himhk:
Luckily I can take the shorter brake pedal out of my parts car. I’m looking to get my hands on a ‘99 manual MIU as well. Is there any special divorce/marry stuff I need to do with T5 electronics? Or is it a straightforward swap? Can you update the ABS SID settings from the OBDII port? Is it drivable before updating? Also, do I need to drill holes for the shifter and clutch cable in the firewall?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
The T5 tends to be much more forgiving about things like component matching. And strictly speaking, the only thing that requires divorce/marriage is the Radio/CD when swapped. But, other components do require programming. That might seem like the same thing, but it eliminates the divorce step and VIN/divorce worries. It's just "marry".

As for whether it will run or not, I leave that to the threads I posted and Himhk. I have no hands-on experience.

Also, I believe you have to fake a VIN from a manual, per the first thread. My experience is that you can't get the right DICE settings without the right VIN... probably other things too. Himhk may have more input there. If you do, you need to change the VIN character for gearbox...and I think that might change the checksum. Not sure. You could experiment with a VIn checking site to find the right checksum character for your altered VIN. There aren't that many characters to check. Let me know if you need a site.

FYI - If you physically swap the MIU. I believe it must to be from a 1999 because of the T5. The EPC doesn't seem to draw any distinction between auto and manual for 1999/T5. That appears odd because I seem to recall other years do. But I could be wrong... maybe there is only one in 1999 and it's just programmed accordingly. I know that even manual clusters have the gearbox light (error) position available but I'm fairly sure they don't have the position lights (again, haven't owned a '99).

As for anything through the OBDII port, the answer is "no". You need a Tech II for this. I would highly recommend buying a Chinese clone if you do this. That way you can tweak as you need. It will eliminate the worries about programming components and at least bring you down to just proper components. It will access SRS, ABS, MIU, DICE, ECU basics, etc. I have a feeling you'll be doing a lot of tweaking... and honestly it will make you smile and save you money in the long run. I got mine at chinacardiags.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
I didnt need to cut hole for the shifter and clutch on my 2001 9-3. The shifter fits at the hole where the auto tran selector cable goes. The firewall has the holes for the clutch already. I did not drill anything at all.

But the thing is that I am not sure for a 99 9-3... because for my friend’s 96 NG900, he had to cut hole for his clutch when he did auto to manual conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
For you reference, I basically followed the first link BobSaabit posted, but updating the VIN in ECU is not needed.

I forgot if I updated the DICE VIN to a manual one... that was a few years ago lol I don’t have a Tech2 with me now but I can check later.

As BobSaabit said, you must use a Tech2 to update the program, but not a OBD2 reader.

You cannot start the car if the electric stuffs see an error: in our case a missing auto tran! There are few places to change using Tech2. Again I forgot how many or what to update, at that time I checked and updated every item in a brute force way lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Thread on the conversion... you will need a VIN tweak with a Tech II so that the ECU knows you have a manual tranny: Automatic to Manual Transmission - The Saab Link Forums
T5 actually doesn't care about the VIN. The thing that tells T5 it's in an automatic is when it gets a P or N signal when the car starts. If no signal, it assumes it's in a manual. Simple an elegant! T7 cares, so you need Tech2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts