SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my gearbox oil last night. Did 3 steps of drain/fill.

Each time I drained I only got 3ish qts out of the thing. I replaced with 3 qts each change.

My dipstick is reading above max for the hot side. Any insight on the level or the amount of old fluid that came out?

O ring: I read once somewhere online that you had to remove the o ring to get correct readings.. Or something.. Anyone know of this being a real thing?

Car shifts much better, I just don't want to leave it overfilled a bit if it will cause damage.

I have some more oil, should I do one more drain fill? I was using ramps. Could the overfill be caused by filling when the front is up?

Can I back the car down when it is low on fluid?

Thanks!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
556 Posts
I thought that drain and refill method was for manuals?

If you do have and auto, you do not want it to be overfilled. Yes it will cause problems.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Which O ring ? ... or ... what O ring ??
Remember, check the level before proceding....then, the replacement quantity can be effectively the same as the drained..
The three times drain/refilling is rather wasteful; I think the machine method may be better, but is actually more expensive (labor at 40 to 80 dollars per )...
I wish that the torque converter had a drain plug..

·
Registered
465 Posts
The reason for drain, refill, drain refill etc is to clean up the fluid in the torque converter. Each time you refill you need to run the vehicle...I do this about once per year just for good measure...when I do it, I drain what I can, refill, drive the next day. drain refill, drive and drain and refill. This makes sure you are pumping through the entire system including the torque converter. When I buy a vehicle with an auto matic, this is one of the first things I do. If you do it once and do the standard change of the fluid 2-3 times a year you probably need not do the drain, refill 3-4 cycle bit. Or you can watch closely as one of the oil change places flushes the system...and it will be much more costly. I take care of my Saab and it takes care of me...love my Saab!;ol;​

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i think the oring he is referring to is on the dipstick, why not have someone push your down off the ramps when refilling. running the system low on fluid can cause air in the system and just as in any hydraulic system air in the system is very very bad,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I ended up just siphoning the excess fluid from the filler/dipstick tube. All is well. Shifting great.

AZR was correct, I meant the oring on the top of the dipstick. I am assuming no one has heard anything about incorrect readings..

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts