SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend of 3rd and 4th November the Australian Hill Climb Championships were held at Mt. Cotton Queensland. My 9-3 finished 3rd in class, 3001-5000cc Improved Production. The Saab is rated at 3375cc because the base capacity is multiplied by 1.7.
If interested there are 3 sample photos of my Saab at www.osella.com.au/wayne/ahc-2007/
Of the 121 competitors in all classes only 3 cars were daily drivers including my Saab which incidentally is our only car.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Was that you, number 93 with the rear end hopping up off the ground? Niiiiiice:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
And burning rubber :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Presto said:
Over the weekend of 3rd and 4th November the Australian Hill Climb Championships were held at Mt. Cotton Queensland. My 9-3 finished 3rd in class, 3001-5000cc Improved Production. The Saab is rated at 3375cc because the base capacity is multiplied by 1.7.
If interested there are 3 sample photos of my Saab at www.osella.com.au/wayne/ahc-2007/
Of the 121 competitors in all classes only 3 cars were daily drivers including my Saab which incidentally is our only car.
why is the saab rated at 3375 cc ?> because you're stage 3 ?

·
Registered
956 Posts
the picture of the rear tire off the ground is pretty sweet. very good results on 3rd! congrats! what were 1st and 2nd?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The number is 193, I usually have 93 but someone more important must have wanted 93 for the championship. The capacity increase is due to the engine being a turbo. Any turbo or supercharged engine has its nominal capacity multiplied by a factor of 1.7, any rotary powered car has its capacity multiplied by 1.8.

First place was a Holden Torana 6 3300cc running amongst other things triple side draught Webers and second place was a Holden Torana 5 litre with fuel injection and L34 heads. Both these cars were pure track cars, stripped interiors roll cage and neither car was registered for road use. These cars a related to Chevrolet or perhaps more closely to Opel. The 5 litre engine definitely related to Chevvy.

My Saab is our only car and it could be seen on the following Tuesday morning at Woolworths supermarket car park.

I reckon a Quaife lsd would have given me a real chance to knock off the 5 litre Torana.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
In pic ASE_5916CP (the ninth pic in that gallery), is that a 6 point brace that is flexing?
Having seen one close up i was suprised haw small a diameter the tubing used was, maybe they are supposed to allow some flexing?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a GS 6 point brace but I was unable to detect any flexing. I enlarged the photo and perhaps it is the back part of the brace that gives that impression. However I may be wrong perhaps it does flex. I have other photos which do not indicate flex at other meetings at that venue.
Incidentally that tyre smoke is very expensive smoke, it is off Dunlop Formula "R" DO1J soft sprint compound treaded race tyres.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I personally wasn't all that impressed with it's strength while I was installing it, but it does change the feel of the car. Looking at your pic, and knowing what my own looks like, yours was definitely hanging lower than what I've ever seen.

Maybe they are supposed to flex, but I can't help but think that they should be much stiffer, like my 1" ARB thicker......

·
Registered
933 Posts
It does hang down pretty low, it could double as a plows when the tractor breaks downs.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Corn Cob said:
It does hang down pretty low, it could double as a plows when the tractor breaks downs.
Thats what I'm sayin. it looks like a hazard, does it always hang that low? You may want to look into it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Brmm.....Brrrmmmm...... ;-) ;-)
Good 'on ya' mate :) :cheesy:
Feed 'em rice !!
'Yer mate 'up road 'int Black SAAB
With no speedo :roll:
:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
milliea7 said:
Feed 'em rice !!
I'm not trying to be a dick, so dont take this the wrong way,

but this is the most authentically Australian post I've ever read. It gave me a good laugh, thank you I needed it. ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
9-3sleeper said:
Thats what I'm sayin. it looks like a hazard, does it always hang that low? You may want to look into it.
It is not as bad as it looks in that photo, ground clearance is around 85mm as the car is lowered around 30mm. I do have to be careful in some circumstances though, usually rutted tracks such as my sisters driveway, speed bumps are no trouble as the lowest point is in line with the wheels. In that photo I have just crested the second climb "Leap of Faith" which is a very steep climb followed by an equally steep decline, the front suspension is under a lot of compression especially with the rear paw so high in the air. I hope to purchase a Quaife diff next week after I get a reply to a e-mail I sent. Fellow on e-bay UK has 10 of them for sale. It is the same unit that fits Opel/Holden/Vauxhall Calibra models. Hopefully I will be less flambouyant with better grip and drive out of the corners.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
milliea7 said:
Feed 'em rice !!
Does it go any quicker with no speedo to slow you down cobber? Off to the Isa on Monday, hot as hades and drier than a dead dingo's donger I reckon.
Enjoy your drive to Townsville, what dedication you show to Saab owning one when the nearest service dealer is 400kms away.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good onya Presto, very very impressive. What sort of spring/ shock set up do you have?

The Isa..crickey that will be hot. I'm going to Cloncurry later in the month.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
musky said:
Good onya Presto, very very impressive. What sort of spring/ shock set up do you have?

The Isa..crickey that will be hot. I'm going to Cloncurry later in the month.

Cheers M.
I have Eibach springs with Koni Sport adjustables up front with Boges on the rear and I have 22mm rear bar in parallel with the standard bar. I don't think I need heavier duty rear shocks judging by the way it lifts rear wheels. Also have a steering rack brace and strengthened bulkhead. I started the Konis on full hard, ride was acceptable, turn in was fantastic but wheelspin was really crook. I then tried setting 2 and got a little axle tramp off the start so I settled on setting 3 for reduced but not eliminated wheelspin and a little less turn in. The Saab oversteers nicely under power so much better than understeer, reckon it would turn itself around fairly quickly if I were to lift off mid corner.
Behave yourself in the 'Curry, don't get too carried away with the nightlife. What are you doing in that hole anyway? I have to take a 24 tonne drill rig to the Isa, leave Monday should be there Wednesday morning sometime.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm having a look at some RC's and diamond drills turning a copper tenement into swiss cheese. Actually checking a company Cudeco about 10k's out of town on the Isa road later in the month. I invest in resource explorers and miners. There are a few in the 'Curry I'm into.

(I read somewhere that the 'Curry has the highest capital gain in residential housing! Drill rigs are in pretty short supply too)

Cheers M.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts