Discussion Starter #1
Anyone?

I had an idea.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That looks like it would flow ok.

I'm kinda over the magnaflow...time to try something different.

Besides, all those muscle gar guys with 900 hp seem to like them just fine.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
random internetz info

40 series = 2 chamber
30 series = 3 chamber (quieter)

Magnaflow is straight-thru design. Flowmaster units are chambered to produce a desired sound. Straight performance Magnaflow > Flowmaster. Depending on the car its usually a few HP.

The reason why he (900 hp guy) doesnt care what exhaust he uses is because at his power level + or - 10hp isn't going to affect the end result.

Keep in mind that the closer the muffler is to the header the more power it will produce. (Borla website)

a muffler should flow 2.2 CFM for every horsepower you'd expect to make without the muffler (Using two mufflers in a dual setup, naturally, doubles the CFM).

The difference in flow between chambered and straight through designs as far as flow is concerned isn't great enough to make a decision on that alone.

Some quick info right there.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I will be picking up a flowmaster then.

I like the sound, and they only lose 3hp based on the chart that was posted.

Not too shabby.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have flowmaster on my vert. I think its a 40 series. Excellent build quality but it tends to drone with 3" pipe between 4000 and 5000 rpm. Its a bit noisy with the top down. (no cat)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just get a straight through style muffler, sound great and will give you a performance upgrade.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
glasspacks are great just remove cat first.the cat kills a tone of sound so all you get at the glasspack is the deep bassy tones...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have this:

I would like to try something different.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Palmer, how many times have I told you...straight through does not mean "tiny round muffler." You can try something different with the same type of inner design that won't be restrictive.

You can get an oval case magnaflow, or some other straight through/perforated tube muffler and it won't sounds anything like the tiny muffler that you have on there.

Even the stock mufflers on saabs are straight through, you don't want to go chambered/baffled. My first saab came with a chambered/baffled thing, it ran much better after i fitted it with a stock muffler.

I'd get something like this
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...906128+4294791975+4294891681+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
3,829 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sleeper9kt said:
Palmer, how many times have I told you...straight through does not mean "tiny round muffler." You can try something different with the same type of inner design that won't be restrictive.

You can get an oval case magnaflow, or some other straight through/perforated tube muffler and it won't sounds anything like the tiny muffler that you have on there.

Even the stock mufflers on saabs are straight through, you don't want to go chambered/baffled. My first saab came with a chambered/baffled thing, it ran much better after i fitted it with a stock muffler.

I'd get something like this
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D11226&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+400636+4294922710+4294906128+4294791975+4294891681+115&autoview=sku
I'm pefectly aware of all that.

I will repeat myself, and say again that I would like to try something different.

Did you see this:

Look at the difference.

3 hp? 2lb/ft?
Meh.

It's on a mustang, and I'm sure it flows a bit more air than my lil' car, so the difference would be much less. They even say pick the one that sounds good to you.

I like the sound of flowmasters.

Also, Brad has a flowmaster on his car, and it does not seem to slow him down at all. (249 whp)

Oh, wait. I figured out my question...sleeper9kt has a vid, but his album is private.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Palmer1980 said:
Look at the difference.

3 hp? 2lb/ft?
Meh.
Yeah, people do this all the time. Basically you just sacrifice some power for better looks/sound/etc. I forget what they call it... starts with an R? Rhymes with "nice?"

:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ohh, burn.

We'll just have to see how it goes.

What did you dyno at again?

:)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

I look forward to hearing it when I get home.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts