SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a cassette adapter to use my mp3 in my '00 9-5, but music never plays through the left half of the speakers. I pulled the volume nob out (Balance) and twisted it to the left all the way to send the sound to the left half of the car, but it just goes silent. Also, the back speakers have very little sound from them, If I adjust the Fade to the left all the way I can hear them, but they are quieter than the back door speakers. When the Fade is in the middle and I turn it all the way to the right, nothing changes. Do I just need a new head unit? If so would it be a better use of my time to just get an aftermarket stereo? If i upgrade the HU, can I still use the volume buttons on the steering wheel without too much extra work?

P.S. When on fm radio, if I put the car in test mode it plays through all the speakers except the back. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
839 Posts
sounds like its the way the mp3 was coded try plugging the adapter into your phone or something that you know is stereo if you get am aftermarket HU you will need an additional part to retain steering wheel controls

·
Registered
343 Posts
Give us more info.

Do the speakers work correctly for CD and radio?
What sound system do you have AS1, AS2 or AS3?
Have you tried testing your casette adapter in any other device? i.e an old boombox or reciever?
Also what do you mean "bacK" speakers, you've got rear door and if its AS3 the rear deck as well.

Upgrading the HU is kind of a pain if you want to keep the stock amp, speakers and steering wheel controls. But it is doable and has been documented on this site, just use the search function.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give us more info.

Do the speakers work correctly for CD and radio?
What sound system do you have AS1, AS2 or AS3?
Have you tried testing your casette adapter in any other device? i.e an old boombox or reciever?
Also what do you mean "bacK" speakers, you've got rear door and if its AS3 the rear deck as well.

Upgrading the HU is kind of a pain if you want to keep the stock amp, speakers and steering wheel controls. But it is doable and has been documented on this site, just use the search function.
There are 9 speakers total in my car. (I think that's the AS3) back speakers= rear deck. The cassette adapter isn't broken because I threw my last one away because I thought it was the problem. I've tried numerous devices, all with the same results. Speakers work fine for cd and both AM and FM radio.

·
Registered
343 Posts
did you try putting a cassette in the unit ? have you tried the adapter in different player ?
This is what I was getting at.

All cars have the rear deck speaker grilles. But only the 9 speaker HK system actually has speakers back there. Gotta actually go into the trunk and look behind the liner. Or if you have the HK tags on the grille itself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what I was getting at.

All cars have the rear deck speaker grilles. But only the 9 speaker HK system actually has speakers back there. Gotta actually go into the trunk and look behind the liner. Or if you have the HK tags on the grille itself.
I replaced the rear speakers. I will try a different cassette but I'm certain the one I have works fine because I use it in my mom's car frequently. I will also get one of those cleaning tapes just to rule out a dirty Cassette player. Also the speakers weren't working before I replaced them. I thought replacing them might fix the problem. I was wrong

·
Registered
343 Posts
I hope you understand that the diffferent speaker pairs all have different functions. The frequencies are filtered at the amp and then fed to them. Basically,

l/r/center dash - treble/mid
front doors - mid-bass
rear doors - treble/mid(mostly just for fill)
rear deck - sub-bass

That being said the rear deck speakers are never that loud in the sense of hurting your ears, they only do the very low frequencies so you shouldn't expect to hear a lot from them. Also those channels only get about 22 watts rms max, I hope whatever you replaced them with was rated for power that low. Also of note a two or three way speaker is pointless in this location, the tweeter(s) would never get used. I put in some free air 6x9' subwoofers from CDT and paired them with a separate amp I installed. I fed this amp signals directly from the headunit before the stock amp filter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My sister's 99 9-5 has a blown engine so I just took hers and they were stock. I know they aren't meant to be loud but I can hardly hear them at all. When I do the sound check I hear no sound from those 2 and it wasn't always like that. It's really not that important but it would be nice to find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Try swapping the amp if you have access to it from your sister's car. But it does sound like at least the cassette slot could be halfway dead, wouldn't be crazy to assume other things could be broken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts