SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,
Many of you have seen my brief comments about my Nav system.
I am soo far past annoyed and I am stuck.
This is my second 9-3. I now have two.
I purchased a 2007 Black Aero (loaded) in AUG this year.
from 5 minutes out of the dealership on delivery night, my Navigation has not worked. "DVD READ ERROR"
I took it in 2 days later. Dealer ordered a new NAV unit.
waited 4 weeks for a unit(yikes).
The last week of September, NEW nav is in. Take my car in for the install. done- no wait, wait a minute. It still does not work.
Why they did not test it before telling me it was done is beyond me, but. I refused to take the car home.
They called me the next day and said, "we don't know what is wrong. A Saab engineer was here today and said that the radio is causing the problems. We are ordering another radio for you". it will be a couple of days. I left my car there for 5 days. they called me and said. "the radio is on back-order as well, come get your car".
since then:
The whole audio system and navigation has turned off an on completely at will and randomly.
about 7 or 8 days ago, the whole unit shut down for good.
during the last 7-8 days the nav/audio screen flashes wildly and often. I can hear the cd OR DVD motor trying to spin/goto a song/data location, BUT both drives are empty so the cd/dvd players are trying to work, the screen is flashing wildly, there is no audio of any kind and I drive 3 hours a day every day 7 days a week. How painful.
what is this doing to my electrical system?
how do I get help?
The dealer has said. "we will gladly fix your car, but we can not get parts."
I have called saab, they said they will look into it.
I have written SAAB with NO response at all.
I do love my 2007 and my 2003 ARC, but I can not even imagine worse customer service from a company and w/ almost 5 years of ownership really have had no complaints other than the minor annoyances most of us have,

HOW can there be no Navs, radios, amps, cd players in stock from the supplier?
anyway - I have nothing else to say, and really don't know what to do.
just wanted you all to hear an strange story.
signed,
SSSG
super sad saab guy.

p.s my sales guy tried to talk me out of bying with nav. I wonder why??

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
This is probably your ICM (looks like a radio) acting up. Sounds like they are trying to get you one. Realize your new one will most likely be a refurbished old one, because that is what you get under warranty. That older unit may need a software update.

It is also possible that your CIM (column integration module) is sending bad commands like false button presses on the steering wheel.

Statistically I would go with ICM.

·
Registered
473 Posts
well from what i hear, General Motors makes their own radios, if that means anything, personally, ive used the navi in a yukon denali ( 08 ) and its alright, nothing to brag about, nothing to go ape shyt about lol, ill take my d3 over stock navi any day! oh thats an idea! see if they will buy you a d3 or another avic unit? lol its worth a try!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CTRLZ- THANKS I hope it is just that. I just wich I could get one.

FLA-S-Dealer - I have been thinkng about ripping out the whol system and going the AVIC route. I have been following that thread, but I hate to lose the $2500 I paid for the SAAB nav system.
I just can not believe the lack of response from GM/SAAB on this issue.
I have to think they fell this way, " Hey it is a luxury item. it is not important. the engine works"
but the whole elec system is going haywire.

Also my rain sensing wipers do not function any more.
all 3 settings (high, med, low) flip the wipers at exactly 17 seconds regarless of how hard it is raining out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This might sound pretty obvious, but did they initially try a different DVD disk? My '07 NAV unit has been working great for the past couple months since I got the car except that every once in awhile, I get the READ ERROR message, and the only way to get things working properly is to eject the disc and reinstall it. Good luck! I know it must be incredibly frustrating after paying the big bucks for it and it does not work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my first thought was to try to eject and clean the dvd.
i did this many times. the DVD surface is perfect, no scratches, marks, nothing.
when they put the new nav unit in on the first service, they used the same disc. I thought that was strange. but We now know that it wasnt the disc becasue a disc has not been in for 4 weeks and the unit has been berserk.

as far as lemon law:
they have not tried 3 times yet, only once. so when ever they get a new unit, it will be try 2. if that does not work, I can only assume it will be another 3-6 weeks for the next peice of equipment for try 3 to fail. so it will be 3-4 months from purchase of car, or 2 months from now, at best, until I know. All of this falls within the legal limits of the manufacurer.
what a mess.
it flashes so much and makes so much noise I am afraid to drive the car.
I am tempted to start driving my Daughters ARC and making her ride with friends.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

SAAB Customer service just called me. very strange cooincidence.

do you guys think they monitor these forums?

Wouldnt they be wise to do so??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts