SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First post, First saab as of this week. and I could use some advice if there is a better way to do this.

I've got an Ipod and an Xm Radio to put in to my 2003 9-3 Vector.

After kicking around some ideas, this is what it seems like is the best integration path.

For the Ipod:
Etadyne cable + ministereo ground loop filter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LRYBv58p7iE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181150&I=127SNI135
That puts a ministereo jack in the console, and between that and the cig lighter in the center console, that gives me power + audio. I believe this lets me control the volume only from the steering wheel.

XM
Since the Aux line will be taken up by the Ipod, and splicing the lines together doesn't seem to be a good way to keep the audio strength, I'll use the Saab XM faceplate with the Saab FM broadcast version. I just hope the Saab dealer will sell me the faceplate without making me buy the whole package.

If anyone has any better advice on this, I'm all ears. Glad to be a saab owner! :D
Thanks!!
Danielle

·
Registered
105 Posts
danielle93 said:
Hi,
First post, First saab as of this week. and I could use some advice if there is a better way to do this.

I've got an Ipod and an Xm Radio to put in to my 2003 9-3 Vector.

After kicking around some ideas, this is what it seems like is the best integration path.

For the Ipod:
Etadyne cable + ministereo ground loop filter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LRYBv58p7iE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181150&I=127SNI135
That puts a ministereo jack in the console, and between that and the cig lighter in the center console, that gives me power + audio. I believe this lets me control the volume only from the steering wheel.

XM
Since the Aux line will be taken up by the Ipod, and splicing the lines together doesn't seem to be a good way to keep the audio strength, I'll use the Saab XM faceplate with the Saab FM broadcast version. I just hope the Saab dealer will sell me the faceplate without making me buy the whole package.

If anyone has any better advice on this, I'm all ears. Glad to be a saab owner! :D
Thanks!!
Danielle
Hi Danielle -

I have done an iPod and Sirius radio in my '03 Vector using Aux and wired FM modulation respectively, but with a somehat different approach than you describe.

Here's my iPod install:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=203907#post203907

If I did it again I would use the Etadyne cable (which wasn't available at the time) with the same Belkin adapter for power and line in (better quality sound than using the iPod headphone jack). The only problem with the Etadyne/Belkin combo is that they both have female jacks, so a short male-male cable would be needed, or the female jack on the Etadyne cable could be replaced with a male plug (that's what I would choose to reduce the number of plug/jack connections for a cleaner signal). In any case, the iPod/Aux works great. The sound from the iPod is better than from the CD changer.

For my Sirius install, have a look here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=408779&highlight=Sirius+Audiovox#post408779

I tried all three possibilities (Aux, wired FM, wireless FM) and the wired FM modulator is absolutely the best choice for two reasons:

- Signal quality from satellite radio is very good, but nowhere close to the iPod, so don't waste the Aux input on sat radio.

- Wired FM modulation is far superior to wireless - no interference from local stations. Why pay for sat radio and still have lousy reception?

I'm not familiar with the Saab XM install, but if you can connect it as a wired FM modulator do it, or connect a separate wired FM modulator to the line (RCA) outputs from the XM tuner. Wired modulators are available from Crutchfield. Here's one from Farenheit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GEPEccNFaGM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=234550&I=026EFM01&search=modulator

Great to have you join the forum. Let me know if I can answer any other questions on audio or handsfree phone setup in the Saab (my other trial-and-error success).

- John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FM Modulator Stereo or Mono

Thanks for the reply.. I'm still parsing it..

So the FM modulator, sits inbetween the antenna and the radio antenna input? Sorta splices inbetween, and then whatever weak frequency you pick, interfering channels will certainly lose to the wired FM modulator?

Is Sirius/XM Stereo anyway? Stereo or Mono?

Thanks
Danielle :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Satellite radio is stereo.

Here's another option for you: use a signal sensing splitter on the AUX port. This device plugs into the AUX mini jack and gives you two inputs, A and B. By default, the A side is the active side (i.e. whatever you have pluged into A will be what you hear through the AUX input). However, as soon as it senses a signal on the B side, it will automatically toggle over to that input. So you could put your XM (or Sirius) tuner on the A side and your iPod on the B side. Whenever you want to listen to the iPod, just hit Play and the splitter will automatically toggle over. When you want to listen to satellite radio, hit stop and the splitter will revert back to the A side.

BTW, the XM unit that Saab used with its kit is the Terk XM Commander, which is available for purchase seperately from the Saab kit through any XM retailer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why couldnt you just get a Y splitter in the center console and run a wire to the XM unit? I don't understand why that would degrade the sound quality too much?

·
Registered
252 Posts
XM radio

To get the Saab XM face plate you will have to buy the Saab XM kit from a Saab dealer. Sorry it's is not available as a separate part.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have read that with just a plain Y splitter, you could damage either the Ipod or the Radio. NOt sure why, but a couple of people here have said that. I would like to know more about the signal sensing splitter that Malibu had mentioned. KNow where i could get one? Have a part number or link? That would be great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Malibu said:
Here's another option for you: use a signal sensing splitter on the AUX port.
A Whaaaa?
Haven't heard of this before. Can you point it to me?

And I heard the same thing on mixing two audio sources directly via a splitter and not a mixer, supposedly you can hurt the stereo feeds that are piping into them. And if you only have one feed you can get noise from the unconnected line. You got me why. But no worries.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
iPod options and future Apple gear

Apple going to start working delivering iPod docking stations that are equipment options for cars directly. That way you dock your iPod into a bay in the dash. I realize this is future talk, but honestly, the only really good connection between the iPod and the car at this point is still not nearly as refined as it will be within a year or two.

On an other note, I passed a 9-3 owner today on the highway that had the very nice cup-holder dock for the iPod with the FM transmitter attachment.

Belkin TuneDock
http://www.belkin.com/index.asp

·
Registered
105 Posts
FM Modulator

danielle93 said:
Thanks for the reply.. I'm still parsing it..

So the FM modulator, sits inbetween the antenna and the radio antenna input? Sorta splices inbetween, and then whatever weak frequency you pick, interfering channels will certainly lose to the wired FM modulator?

Is Sirius/XM Stereo anyway? Stereo or Mono?

Thanks
Actually it's better than that.

A wired FM modulator blocks any incoming signal from the atntenna on the selected frequency. It then generates its own signal on that frequency from your iPod. A wireless modulator signal has to compete with any local stations coming through the antenna, causing interference.

Both Sirius and XM are stereo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts