SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
next thing we will see is crowds of drivers following Audi A8s so that they can pirate the internet connection!

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Just install one of these in your car
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi&CMP=KNC-PaidSearch&rf=google.com

Verizon's mobile hotspot.

Its not like this is "new technology" or anything.
Yeah, they are portable too, so there is no real "installing" necessary. You could turn your backpack or pocket into a mobile hotspot if you wish.

I guess you could have it permanently wired into your car, so you wouldn't ahve to bother with the cigarette lighter outlet...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next thing we will see is crowds of drivers following Audi A8s so that they can pirate the internet connection!
My thoughts exactly.
Aggressive driving gets an ip logged to atf or fbi, lmao. :cool:

I can see the car ads now "3G services with ______, reasonable connect rates".

Boon is right it should be portable, connected to the driver, not the vehicle.

The swedes have the means. They should be stepping up.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
they are portable. called an iphone. or a wi-fi usb hub.

this is dumb. just another way to distract people from the road.

and it's not even new--some school district in like arizona (or some other western state) has a schoolbus with a wifi hub so kids can do work on the bus. just read about it in the nytimes.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are portable. called an iphone. or a wi-fi usb hub.

this is dumb. just another way to distract people from the road.

and it's not even new--some school district in like arizona (or some other western state) has a schoolbus with a wifi hub so kids can do work on the bus. just read about it in the nytimes.
yeah you're right. But picture the car's capabilities. Using apps like at the android market, for $.99 you get to know when to replace high use items based on life expectancy. Record G's going around corners, pots holes, ...
The gps functions could really make it fun.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I honestly don't understand the point of a wifi hotspot inside a car. I don't need to check my Internets while I'm driving. For bored passengers, whatever happened to road games like magnetic checkers or spotting VW Bugs or just plain ol' beating the crap out of each other?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly don't understand the point of a wifi hotspot inside a car. I don't need to check my Internets while I'm driving. For bored passengers, whatever happened to road games like magnetic checkers or spotting VW Bugs or just plain ol' beating the crap out of each other?
You can post images of your speedometer, overlaid on road images. Proof of driving, so to speak. lmao.

My personal favorite is the latter of your options. "plain....:p

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Good points all!

Firstly, passengers are inferior beings. The car should be designed around the driver. (Sorry Erin! :p )

Secondly, if everyone regresses into their little internet world, where does all the fun together family time go? Isn't getting there supposed to be half the fun?

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
And then tossing the body (sibling) out the station wagon's rear window.

Ah, thems good ol' days ............

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Good points all!

Secondly, if everyone regresses into their little internet world, where does all the fun together family time go? Isn't getting there supposed to be half the fun?
lol No, but it would be if I had wifi haha

My parents started putting this in the car in 1994 to keep us from killing each other

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
All the points above about car-internet being antisocial notwithstanding, I would hope any hardware that gets built into your car is GSM and can be used with any carrier anywhere... the last thing we need is carrier-locked vehicles :D

Ahem, Verizon :p

Also, anything you got today would be quickly obsolete once 4G LTE gains widespread adoption.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts