SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a little help, I'm going to try to replace my squealing crank pulley. I'm not much of a DIYer, but my help is, and has a lift and pretty complete shop. Questions:
1. Removing 30 mm bolt: Does anyone have a cut down 30mm bolt I could buy or borrow in Northern NJ area? My thrifty nature rebels against buying a new socket and destroying it.
2. OEM or aftermarket pulley? Aftermarket is $100, or OEM for $250 from theSAABSite.com. I've seen lots of derogatory remarks directed at scantech on this and other boards. Opinions?
3. Replacing oil pump seal and o-rings also recommended. There is a leak from that part of the engine, I figure may have caused pulley failure by oil getting on rubber. Anything else back there I should check?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
602 Posts
1. To make it easy on yourself rest the breaker bar against the air con compressor or wheel well and bump the starter (fuel pump fuse pulled) to break the bolt loose. Don't let it go too long though...ask me how I know.

2. I went with the aftermarket pulley several years ago and have had no problems.

3. You already know this, but make sure you prime the oil pump before you put it all back together.

Dustin

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same experience as supremedalek. A shortened socket would have been convenient but was unnecessary. I used a 1/2" drive craftsman.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If you decide to cut a socket- check the pawn shops in the industrial area. May have a socket to cut down and be less than new. If your help has an impact wrench 1/2 in dr you may not need to lock the flywheel, just needs a little skill with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnx for the feedback, guys. I'll check NAPA today for the short socket, and order the pulley and seals. Thanks for the reminder about priming the oil pump, especially. Not something I was aware of.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember you will need a way to brake the bolt loose. I ended up buying the tool to hold the crank in place, but others were successful with different means.
I promised my brother to let him try bumping the ignition to break the bolt loose.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I promised my brother to let him try bumping the ignition to break the bolt loose.
Be 110 percent certain that the HT side of the ignition is disconnected if trying this approach so the engine cannot start, but will only turn while the starter is engaged.

Craig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts