SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm trying to change my ATF in my 92 900 turbo and know one seems to know what type to use, Even saab use a dextron3 which isn't meant to be used in the type35 box, I think i should be using a f type but not to sure.
the manual also says the box needs 8Lt of ATF, this must be when dry as a bone. Does anyone know a good way of flushing the autobox? and should I remove and empty the cooler also?
I want to change the cork seal this weekend and replace the old ATF so any expert advice would be great. I can't seem to trust these cowboys in New zealand.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Your trans should be a Type 37, basically a beefed-up version of the old 35. Yes, you do need to use Type F fluid in it.

The only way to "flush" these trans is to drain as much as you can, refill with new, run the car for a day, and then repeat this process once or twice.

The problem is that about half the fluid stays in the converter, so draining the trans only gets half of it at a time.
One other thing you can do to prolong the life of the trans is take off the bottom cover (not the cover from the converter housing--the cover off the trans itself), replace the filter, and adjust the front band (search this forum for details).

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Dumping Dextron III in anything and everything is a GM trait. :lol:

However, for your car, like Profz said, you need to use type F.

Good Luck and happy motoring :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
some shops have these flushing machines that is suposed to completely flush the entire system out. i used to do the drain-fill-drive-drain-fill-drive method, then i got lazy and just had my mechanic flush it, he used this machine and it drove much much better afterwards, kinda pricey though and probally a rip off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too was going to have that flushing machine do mine but after I was told that they don't use Type F just Dextron III I said no thanks.. Now I've found 8Lts of type F hopefully that'll be enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts