SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm desperate for ideas and suggestions as to what could be the problem with my BSR PPCv2 Stage 1 tune. I think I have exhausted BSR technical support who have been helpful but after seeing a video I did have told me they think it is normal.

Brief history.....

I bought a PPC v1 Stage 1 tune a little over three years ago and have been happy as Larry with it ... it transforms the car...put simply I loved it.

On the 17th March I decided to detune my Aero but after 4% of the tune the PPC froze. I was going away the following day so had to get hold of a replacement ECU which I managed to do. It arrived the next day and my car was transported to the dealers. They divorced my ECU and married the replacement to my car. The car started and ran ok although it did feel underpowered.
In the meantime I sent my PPCv1 to BSR in Sweden who informed me that I would have to update to a PPCv2... at a cost of course.
When I got on the motorway a little later I discovered that the cruise control wouldn't work in 5th and 6th.
When I returned home the following week I was all excited that my PPCv2 would soon be arriving. I decided to look into the cruise control issue and searched all over for info.
My PPC v2 arrived and I proceeded to install the tune...however, when I connected the PPC to my car it told me to synchronize. I did this over the internet and then tuned the car.... this is where the problems begin!

The tune went without issue but when I drove the car I knew that this was not the right tune...it felt slower than my stock Aero tune. Another sync with BSR and I'm told that it is running 175bhp software.

So I detune and a trip to the dealers...tech2 is put on and confirmed wrong software for Aero. ECU is flashed for Aero 210bhp and I return home noticing that the cruise control now works perfectly.
I plug PPC in to car and it says to sync PPC... I do this and again attempt to tune the car. Tune goes ahead with no issues and unplug PPC when told to. The problem now is that there is little or no more power than the Aero tune and although I appreciate that the turbo gauge isn't an actual boost gauge it doesn't even get to the top of the white section.

BSR tell me that I am running the right software...247bhp but the car feels nothing and I mean absolutley nothing like it did with my PPCv1 and I am gutted.

This is the video of my turbo gauge with WOT in 2nd and 3rd. It use to go into the red and the car use to pull like a train in these gears.

I have installed the following new sensors. Charge Air bypass control valve,Boost pressure control valve,Charge Air cooler sensor and a new MAF.... but they haven't made any difference and I have checked best as I can for leaks...can't find any.

A question for PPCv2 owners... Does your gauge go into the red overboost section or is it like mine in the video ?

I need to get this issue sorted as soon as possible...I'm really missing my tuned Aero !!

Thanks for any help

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm desperate for ideas and suggestions as to what could be the problem with my BSR PPCv2 Stage 1 tune. I think I have exhausted BSR technical support who have been helpful but after seeing a video I did have told me they think it is normal.

Brief history.....

I bought a PPC v1 Stage 1 tune a little over three years ago and have been happy as Larry with it ... it transforms the car...put simply I loved it.

On the 17th March I decided to detune my Aero but after 4% of the tune the PPC froze. I was going away the following day so had to get hold of a replacement ECU which I managed to do. It arrived the next day and my car was transported to the dealers. They divorced my ECU and married the replacement to my car. The car started and ran ok although it did feel underpowered.
In the meantime I sent my PPCv1 to BSR in Sweden who informed me that I would have to update to a PPCv2... at a cost of course.
When I got on the motorway a little later I discovered that the cruise control wouldn't work in 5th and 6th.
When I returned home the following week I was all excited that my PPCv2 would soon be arriving. I decided to look into the cruise control issue and searched all over for info.
My PPC v2 arrived and I proceeded to install the tune...however, when I connected the PPC to my car it told me to synchronize. I did this over the internet and then tuned the car.... this is where the problems begin!

The tune went without issue but when I drove the car I knew that this was not the right tune...it felt slower than my stock Aero tune. Another sync with BSR and I'm told that it is running 175bhp software.

So I detune and a trip to the dealers...tech2 is put on and confirmed wrong software for Aero. ECU is flashed for Aero 210bhp and I return home noticing that the cruise control now works perfectly.
I plug PPC in to car and it says to sync PPC... I do this and again attempt to tune the car. Tune goes ahead with no issues and unplug PPC when told to. The problem now is that there is little or no more power than the Aero tune and although I appreciate that the turbo gauge isn't an actual boost gauge it doesn't even get to the top of the white section.

BSR tell me that I am running the right software...247bhp but the car feels nothing and I mean absolutley nothing like it did with my PPCv1 and I am gutted.

This is the video of my turbo gauge with WOT in 2nd and 3rd. It use to go into the red and the car use to pull like a train in these gears.

I have installed the following new sensors. Charge Air bypass control valve,Boost pressure control valve,Charge Air cooler sensor and a new MAF.... but they haven't made any difference and I have checked best as I can for leaks...can't find any.

A question for PPCv2 owners... Does your gauge go into the red overboost section or is it like mine in the video ?

I need to get this issue sorted as soon as possible...I'm really missing my tuned Aero !!

Thanks for any help

Mark
did you try reseting the ecu? pull fuse # 4 for a few second maybe a little reset its all you need...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies..

Mine use to go to the edge of the red section when detuned to stock....that's why I find it odd that the tech at BSR says it looks normal to him.
Fuel gauge has the when 'full shows empty problem'... sender unit waiting to go in...been like that for years....it settles down when it's under 1/2 tank.

I've tried the reset numerous times and doesn't make any difference.

Fuel pump...Thanks for the suggestion..I'll have it checked on Monday.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thats a ****.
Is it possible that the PPC is using the original sync data from the wrong Ecu software (incidentally, I can't believe that the dealer gave you the wrong software - what a bunch of twits)?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a ****.
Is it possible that the PPC is using the original sync data from the wrong Ecu software (incidentally, I can't believe that the dealer gave you the wrong software - what a bunch of twits)?
I thought along those lines too. When I got back from the dealers I connected the PPC and it read the ECU and told me to sync. I did the sync and tuned the car...I then did another sync and contacted BSR...they tell me that the car is running with the correct software now but it feels totally lame.
Car runs smooth as ever..but just without the top end boost or overboost like I was used to with the PPCv1 I had.

In the dealers defence I did only ask them to 'marry' the ECU to my car...They didn't check which tune it had on and at that time I wasn't aware that it could have had different mapping on it. It was later that I discovered that there is only one ECU for all petrol models and it's just down to which map they have on. With the replacement ECU having the same part numbers I (wrongly) assumed it had come off an Aero.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it's **** or bust tomorrow...... Going to the dealers and have decided to take the following actions...

1) Divorce present ECU and replace original...and hope that it can be flashed after freezing at 4% with the PPCv1

2) If 1 is unsuccessful then remarry replacement ECU and reflash with Aero software

3) If 2 doesn't make any difference then I'm afraid my beloved Aero is going to have to go. I can't live with it as it is now knowing what it is capable of !!

Spent all day machine polishing too and she looks the dogs ! I suppose it will help me get a better trade in !

So tomorrow night I could be either grinning from ear to ear with my beloved Aero...or looking forward to picking up my Passat CC, Audi A4 or my 5 series Beemer !!

·
Registered
293 Posts
P.S. Whats going on with your fuel gauge?
That's what I thought. You're looking at the wrong gauge. When you watch the video you can see your fuel gauge jump up and down as you shift gears. That seems like a bigger problem than the one you're trying to solve.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah fuel gauge doesn't bother me...common problem on the early 93. I'll put the new sensor in soon seeing as it bothers so many people :cheesy: Just filled her up today so the gauge will show empty for 50 miles or so and then bounce around for another 50!

Been to the dealers today. I've left the original ECU with them to attempt to recover it...if they do then it will be going back in later in the week..I'm hoping that will sort the tuning problem. We'll see !

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
so what happened? any thing get fixed?

you need this guy to check out your ecu

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update....I was at the dealers early this morning and the original ECU was married to my Aero and was successfully flashed by Tech2...Got boost at last...it felt brilliant on the way home.
I got my PPCv2 out of its box and pondered whether or not to chance tuning. I thought sooner or later I'm going to have to do it so sooner the better ! It seemed to be the longest 5 minutes of my life but eventually I got the 'Turn ignition off and remove key' message followed with the 'Done,unplug from car' message.
I turned the ignition on and fired her up.
I'm tuned again !!!! :lol::lol::lol: So the Aero is most definitely staying part of the family.

I'm one very happy man this morning.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My thanks to Last_saab_standing, chris_de_ze and smurkenstein for your help and suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts