SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Quick question here. I take my car to the shop every 3K ish miles for an oil change, mostly because that's too messy to do at home. I also take it to the shop for the major things like new tires, brake inspection etc etc. But I would like to do the rest of the service at home. Does anyone have any advice on what else I should be periodically changing/inspecting? Spark plugs, air filter more?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Main thing is the oil. Make sure they drop the oil pan and clean it (at least every other time) there is a filter in the pan that can block up and kill your motor. I have learnt that the hard way, although my main problem was the previous owner had clearly never changed the oil- see pics
Usual Check of fluids and filters
Get shop to test the moisture level in the brake fluid (swap if necessary)
Some items may depend on where you live/driving conditions.
The factory plugs should be good for at least 60-100K miles (coil packs should last about twice that ).
Air filter as you noted.
There is also a cabin filter under the fresh air intake (below the wiper, passenger side) and make sure the water drain hole near this location isnt blocked.
service manual has intervals...edit ** whiplash answers as I spend time typing....

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not to promote another site, but someone uploaded the service schedule intervals here.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28302

IMPORTANT: Ignore the 20000mile interval for the oil though, this motor is known for oil sludge issues. Stick with the shorter interval you are using. Most seem to find about 5000m is a good interval to prevent any issues. (mine is in kilometres so I do oil at about 8000k intervals).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts