SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was preparing to change the AT fluid on my 97 900 SEt vert and noticed that the fluid in it right now is clean (ie, clear) but instead of being reddish it is more light brown and does not smell burnt.

Is it possibly synthetic AT fluid? I have never dealt with synthetics before.

For background, the car runs and shifts perfect. The fluid change is being done simply to establish a known fluid change date since car was purchased used at 103kmiles. I do not have service history bur was able to very ownership history and existence of extended warranty up thru 90kmiles. Additionally, car is in outstanding physical condition so I felt pretty confident it had been decently maintained.

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I believe synthetic AFT is not recommended for Saab. I don't know the reason, but I would like to hear from others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rotate, my intent was to go with Dexron III but was thrown by the looks of whatever is in there now.

Also, can anyone confirm that there is a drain plug on the bottom of the auto transmission, looks to be a 23 or 24mm plug?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
At this point in time I have about 40% synthetic ATF in the '96S. Now it is far to hot outdoors to be changing the ATF again and again so I can achieve 90%.

I do not think it is worth all that trouble.
The present "blend" works perfectly..

Never changed the ATF in the Honda, never, 17 years,160K..Not neglect either, Honda claims it is "good for life" !

According to Haynes, the ATF is to be changed every 60K miles..

Corrected : The drain plug is rather large, facing the passenger side(RS) and is at the lowest point.
And I just changed the ATF several months ago !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Facing driver's side (LS)?

What to me looks like the drain plug is at the low point of the AT and faces the passenger side (towards left facing the car). Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
That sounds about right for location. Attached is a photo, taken from center of car facing driver's side (US).

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks, picture definitely worth a thousand words...that is the one. I should have included a photo earlier myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts