SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have the ASII, it is a cd and cassette. I have the center speaker in the dash two speakers in the drivers doors and one each rear doors. I do not have speakers on the rear deck. Can I replace just the stereo part with a different cd player and still have everything work, i.e. the speakers. I have heard that since my car has an external amplifier that a new head unit will not work with it. I really want this unit:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If you have AS2, you will have to remove the external amp from the circuit, otherwise you get a horrible screaching noise where the two amps interfere with each other. I've gotta ask, why install that lovely head unit and just use the existing speakers? Surely some 6x9's and a sub would give the go to match the show.:cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and to answer you question, I have already installed a sub w/ amp, however I cannot figure out how to remove the door panels. I am afraid I may break something. I figured it would be easiest, and more cost effective to just replace the head unit. How about by-passing the factory amp, but still use the factory speakers. Will that work?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Copey said:
How about by-passing the factory amp, but still use the factory speakers. Will that work?
It sure will. :cheesy: The door panels are real easy to remove, i'd recommend a copy of Haynes for all these niggling things. Is the Kenwood a double DIN size? I can't say i've seen it before in the UK. Can you get a wheel controls adaptor for it? :cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've replaced my AS2 with an Alpine head unit still using the origional amp, if you take the amp out, the speakers will not work.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Others have reported feedback problems with AS2 and external head units not working together. I only had AS1 so didn't encounter this problem. I'll leave this one to you then Hercules. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've swapped the AS2 in both 95's I've had. Both times for Alpine units, albiet different models. My understanding is that the AS1 uses unamplified speakers, so in replacing the head unit for an aftermarket one you are connecting the new head directly to the speakers. The AS2 uses a small amplifier to amplifi the signal to the 7 speakers in the system, in replacing the head unit you are connecting the head to this small amplifier. I've tried disconnecting the amp, the stereo keeps playing but there is no sound from the speakers. I've had the Alpine system in my car for three years now with no probs at all. HTH:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that Kenwood is a double din DVD/CD/MP3 player. I think you can get a adapter for the steering wheel controls. You can also hook up navigation, rear view camera, iPod and satellite radio.

Hercules: So what you are saying is that if I connect another head unit (kenwood) to the factory amp, everything will still work. Did you use an adapter/wire harness to do this or did you track down all the wires yourself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used the wiring adapter that came with the double chassis kit from Saab. The adapter converts the 95's stereo wiring to fit straight onto an ISO connecter, which all modern stereos have.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh yeah, sorry,yes it will work. Basically all you're doing is swapping the head unit for a better one. The OE amp will amplifi the signal from your Kenwood head unit instead of the AS2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have this exact unit installed in my 2001 9-5. It's very sweet, and it doesn't require any real fabrication to fit in that double-DIN space. I will take some pictures when I get a free minute.

I also have the iPod interface and wired it so it goes directly into my center console. When I hit the lotto or get a new credit card I want to get the Nav (around $700 on eBay) TV Tuner and Sirius radio.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHOO HOOO so this mod is possible without buying additionall amplifiers and speakers.

Can the back seat passengers see the screen very well?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I chose to upgrade all my speakers and I'm running two amps but thats because I'm definetly an audiophile. I have a 6 channel Zapco powering MB Quart components in the front and the set of speakers on the rear doors and the 6x9's in the back. Then I have another 2 channel Zapco powering the subs.

I'm pretty sure you can simply install the unit and disable the amplifier (50w x 4) I believe that comes with it.

People in the backseat can see it fine, you just have to make sure when you install it you ground the wire thats supposed to be hooked up to your parking brake so you can watch while driving. (You didn't hear it from me) This past weekend I was trapped in 2 hours of traffic heading to the shore on the Parkway and the 3 people in my backseat had no complaints watching like 7 episodes of the Chappelle show.

·
Registered
34 Posts
is the same info true if you have the AS3 setup also?

can someone post a link to the radio harness info?

thanks

PS...i wanna see pics too

·
Registered
259 Posts
WWW, that looks the dogs danglies.

Anyone have an idea on the UK price of that unit?

my tuppence... I thought that replacing the AS2 was a beatch of a job as not only is there an inline amp but also the impedence of the standard speakers are different for each driver so getting balanced sound is very hard using the std speakers. I was under the impression that you would basically have to run new sets of speaker cables and replaces all the speakers... please correct my if Im wrong.

WWW it would be great if you could throw together a rough guide/wiring diagram to show what was bypassed and any of the standard harness you used.

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't actually do any of the wiring on the install, I swapped out the speakers and put in the box, but I was too nervous/busy to do the actual wiring so I had a friend of a friend wire the system. I had him run all new wires to all speakers and to the box in the back, since all my speakers were high-end MB Quart.

jaluu2 -- I've been pretty broke, but I would like to get the steering controls, along with the Navi, TV Tuner and Sirius Radio. I think they are only made by outside companies, I have yet to see an actual Kenwood one: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=110&OVRAW=Kenwood%20Wheel%20Control&OVKEY=steering%20wheel%20radio%20control%20interface&OVMTC=advanced

1 - 20 of 32 Posts