SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clearcoat on my rear-clip's peeling off with swathes everytime it rains all-day. Water is getting behind the clearcoat creating water-bubbles behind the clearcoat that them comes off in chunks. I'd like to at-least contain the peeling to above the mid-body crease till I can get it repainted...or do it myself. Just this last weekend I must have had at-least 2-square feet of clearcoat form water-bubbles and separate. A few had so-much water I took a pin and made drainage-holes.

As a temporary fix, can I wet-sand the leading-edge of the peeing so that the water can't get in? The clearcoat is failing all-along the top-edges of the rear fenders and all along the upper-part of the rear-surafce of the trunk-lid. The clearcoat's totally gone on the top-surface and it's starting to peel right behind the driver's-side door. The doors, front fenders and hood are fine....a different paint batch?

What's really annoying is that non-metallic (Mica?) Black (color code-170) shouldn't be clearcoat in the first-place for 1996. And the manual says only the metallics are clearcoated....

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
It was my understanding too that base solid paints were not clearcoated. Any evidence that the car was re-sprayed in the past?

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Saab put out a TSB when they started clearcoating the solid colors, which wasn't until 2000 or so. Someone must have done a sub-standard job of repainting your car at one time. If you're planning on having it repainted at some point, I'd try to wet sand the peeling part. An electric polisher and some rubbing compound might work too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts