SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our crazy (but lovable) 4 yr old 65 lb female labradoodle was left alone in our 2004 9-5 and somehow managed to raise and hyperextend the front centre armrest and break the hinge on either side at its elbows (where straight arm meets curved section) completely disengaging the armrest. Short of buying a new hinge (if still available) I was wondering if there was a glue that would do a satisfactory repair. I was thinking of an epoxy glue but the packaging on the one I looked at stated it was suitable for only certain types of plastic, and I don't know what type of plastic the armrest hinge is made of. Any useful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW: I tried SuperGlue and that doesn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
They make this 'two part' type epoxy solution. One tube is liquid, like superglue, and one 'tube' is a powder that you sprinkle onto the liquid as you're 'repairing' the item. I forget the name, but search for that! My mechanic (jokingly) refers to it as 'the plastic welder'.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I've used this and love the stuff.

I like it so much that when I ran out I bought some more, just to have on hand. In fact it has been holding the recirc flap lever since spring,


and the seat control since sometime in the summer. Mine was broke like this:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
Any good 2 part epoxy. I like the 16 hour cure time on JB Weld for a likely more durable fix. But Cranky is pretty fortunate with his Air Recirculating motor fix. That's impressive. I figured I'd dremmel open a spot for a metal arm to fit the two pieces together and then glue it up. The glue only hold is pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll look for PermaPoxy and if I can't find it I'm sure I've seen JB Weld so I'll give that a try. If the hinge fix goes well I might try fixing the moulding that houses the driver's power seat controls - the plastic has been broken where it attaches to the seat frame for a couple of years and although the controls still work it bugs me to have to pull the moulding up into place every time I get into the car. But it's a great car and my wife and I really like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
I had the same thing happen on another car and fixed it with two small box hinges and some sheet metal screws. This worked out fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Any good 2 part epoxy. I like the 16 hour cure time on JB Weld for a likely more durable fix. But Cranky is pretty fortunate with his Air Recirculating motor fix. That's impressive. I figured I'd dremmel open a spot for a metal arm to fit the two pieces together and then glue it up. The glue only hold is pretty good.
I did use a very small drill bit and drill holes. for better strength.
Also I tried a couple of regular epoxies that broke within a few days - even with the holes.
 

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top