SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was 6.15am. It snowed during the night (if you live in Scotland or England you will know) and theres a tricky junction just a second from my house I need to get past. Its really icey. Its a T junction but its kind of sloped down and if you turn left you face a big up-hill and if you turn right you face a MASSIVE down-hill. Well the tricky bit is that I have to turn left. The road before the junction doesn't just slope down though, it also slopes down to the right. See why its hard to turn left now ? Well I thought I would be ok cos the 9-5's are MEANT to have ABS and TCS. Well the wheels locked up going down the slope but I JUST managed to slow down to a slow speed to get the angle right for the left turn but to add insult to injury I turned the wheel left and the car got about 2.5Feet and the front wheels just span out on the snow and ice. Is this normal ? Is the ABS and TCS not working or am I just not noticing ? I ended up stuck. I couldn't go back the road I came as the wheels just span when I tried to back up so I had to be daring and turn DOWN the hill. OK This didn't go well. Car span round and ended up going half way down the hill sideways! I finally got control and safely stoped by the beach at the bottom of the hill. It's still there now. There is another route to get out but that includes a steep hill to and it has a big bend in it so even if I got going I could lose control on the bend and crash into the big metal barrier blocking a 20feet drop onto the road below. So this is a couple of questions needing help. 1) how do I get the Saab back up the hill (I don't know much about degrees of hills but its almost verticle at one point! NO JOKE! Thats why its also scary turning left incase you go down it side ways like I did). 2) Does the 9-5 have ABS and TCS and are they working on my car but they just couldn't do anything cos it was so icey ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If there is a TCS Button, you have TCS. (not standard, optionally available). ABS is Standard in all 9-5.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Also ABS is pretty ineffective on a pure ice surface, the tyres are not going to grip ice even with the ABS pulsing on/off.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess I don't have TC-S... What were the available "Trim Levels" for the '98 9-5 ? Cos I don't know what one I have... All I know is its a 9-5 2.0L LPT with A/C, CD/Radio, Elec front and rear windows but no TCS.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And ALSO don't say "Tow it up with another car" Because the only other 2 cars I have is a '94 Peugeot 405 which is HOPELESS in snow! And a '91 Ford Scorpio RWD which ain't exactly hopeless but it won't manage the hill towing another car as well. So I need a tip on getting the Saab up the STEEP ICEY hill without using another car.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Wulf - Well no I have 2.0mm tyres on the front and 1.9mm at the back! :lol:. Yeah not the best tyres. I can't afford more tyres though. I went out in the snow-tough Scorpio 2.0 today (its tyres aren't much better but it gets better traction for some reason. 2.1mm on front and 1.7mm on back... Yeah weird. It's RWD and it still gets lots of snow/ice traction and 1.7mm ? Don't ask me :lol: ) to get some shopping and a quote for new tyres. £290 for a set of 4. Not bad but I con't even have that right now :(. I had to use £31.91 for filling the Scorpio with a full tank cos it was skidding all over the joint as it had low fuel so no rear end traction. Only £12.52 left in my wallet now :( The Ford Scorpio (obviously) has Alloys and the garage can fit new tyres to the alloys (not new tyres, re-surfaced ones) for £200. VERY Cheap! I'm going to do that soon (VERY soon, MOT comes up on the 3rd of March) but for the Saab I'll pay a bit extra for new tyres for £290. Just need to get the 9-5 to the house first then I can think of getting new tyres...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Strangely my car pulls off ice better in reverse, depends on how far you need to drive?

Other than that, might have to wait for the thaw :cry:

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. I need to drive just up a STEEP hill then round a couple of bends (close together) and roughly park outside my house. You haven't seen the hill though... Somehow I don't think even a HUMMER H2 could make it up that in these conditions!

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might try again now. The snows thawed a little... Though that ain't a good thing! Theres ice under the snow. So when the snow melts it leaves a layer of ice on the road... At least the snow gave me some traction! Second thoughts I'll go NOW before all the snow melts! I'll comment in a few mins hopefully saying I got it back! WISH ME LUCK!

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES! I got it up! Lots of wheel-spin but made it eventually! I had to go round instead of just simply turning left at the top of the hill but I did it! Probably lost about 0.2mm of my tyres but made it all the same :lol: It's real dirty now after all that muddy snow getting kicked up at the doors and fenders. No mud guards! Ha! Who needs 'em!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well done fella :cool:

G

·
I went out in the snow-tough Scorpio 2.0 today (its tyres aren't much better but it gets better traction for some reason. 2.1mm on front and 1.7mm on back... Yeah weird. It's RWD and it still gets lots of snow/ice traction and 1.7mm
My old Mercedes with RWD also seems to get better traction than my Saab when going uphill. If the car is on an angle, the weight shift to the back of the car seems to provide more grip on the rear wheels.

I also found my Saab has more grip going up the hill backwards because of this weight shift. It's a bit tricky though to gain speed going backwards up a hill and make a turn at the same time. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts