SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I was working on one of my non-saab vehicles and had to pull fuel injectors. Parts of two of the injectors stayed in the manifold: the O-ring, and the little disc below the o-ring.

A pick pulled both out cleanly, and I was able to slide the disc back on, although I could get it to slide as far up as on the injectors that extracted with no issue. But I've never messed with injectors before--are those discs meant to be removable? Or are they permanently attached?

I realize this is for a non-saab, but the injectors don't look appreciably different from the ones on the saab other than the color., and maybe this will help somebody (like me!) when I eventually have to pull the rail on the saab.

(note: I will delete if this is not okay)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Very common to happen with old seals in any make. Usually we replace them (seals) anytime injectors are pulled because the risk/ reward ratio is in big favor of risk. They're cheap enough IF you can find that pintle cap seal. If not clean it as best as you can and put some heavy weight motor oil around the seal lip and edges and monitor the vacuum using a gauge or scan tool to make sure its sealed up.. otherwise replacement will be your only option.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!

Very common to happen with old seals in any make. Usually we replace them (seals) anytime injectors are pulled because the risk/ reward ratio is in big favor of risk. They're cheap enough IF you can find that pintle cap seal. If not clean it as best as you can and put some heavy weight motor oil around the seal lip and edges and monitor the vacuum using a gauge or scan tool to make sure its sealed up.. otherwise replacement will be your only option.
I did replace the O-rings. The ones you see are brand new, and oiled up.

You said "pintle cap seal"; could that also be called a "stem seal"? I notice that a few of the O-ring kits indicate that they include "stem seals" (a fel-pro and a victor-reinz). Naturally the rail kit that I purchased (from intermotor) does not.

Should I try to push that black portion farther on?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I suppose it could be labeled as a stem seal but theres also a valve stem seal too so... may be worth looking for pictures to make sure that it's correct.

And yes, definitely push that back up. If you can get replacements I'd do so.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the feedback. I have a few days to hunt around before I'm able to resume working.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following up on this, I found a source for discrete injector parts other than O-rings, and specifically the part that I lost: Bosch Type-3 Injector Retainer Tapered

I was initially unable to find this part on the website, so I called the phone number on the website and spoke with a real, live person who answered my questions and helped me get to the right place on their website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts