Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found a 03 9-3 not too far from me. I saw it has a few codes and was wondering if they are a priority and need to be addressed immediately, or if it would be safe to buy and fix these things slowly.
I can't post a link in my first post so I will put it in a comment below.

P.S. Sorry if this is formatted incorrectly for this site, I have never been on here before making this post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
20,196 Posts
It's a 17 year old first model year car of a defunct European brand not known for super reliability. Do you know how to wrench? Are you also going to buy a tech2? Will this be your reliable means of transportation? No to any of these? Then no, you shouldn't buy this car. If it's just something to tinker with and you can turn a wrench and troubleshoot, then go for it. It's $600. It needs at least a fuel level sender (Have to drop fuel tank for that) and probably window regulator. Maybe clutch too if that hasn't been done.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Interior looks shot, too. I agree with Diggs; if you can't do the work yourself, a car like this will become very expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 17 year old first model year car of a defunct European brand not known for super reliability. Do you know how to wrench? Are you also going to buy a tech2? Will this be your reliable means of transportation? No to any of these? Then no, you shouldn't buy this car. If it's just something to tinker with and you can turn a wrench and troubleshoot, then go for it. It's $600. It needs at least a fuel level sender (Have to drop fuel tank for that) and probably window regulator. Maybe clutch too if that hasn't been done.
Yeah, I plan to do all the work myself. As for the Tech2, my uncle owns 3 or 4 GM dealerships, I'm sure he has one somewhere, or I was going to buy one. It will be my daily, but it isn't a huge deal if it is out of commission for a few days since I am still in school, so I can ride the bus. My job is within walking/biking distance also. My main concern is if any of those codes make the car undrivable.

·
Super Moderator
20,196 Posts
If it is drivable currently then I would say no. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Run, don't walk, away unless the current owner is willing to give you a sizeable stipend to take it of his hands. How much to rehab this car? How much you got? The cost to rehab this car will break your bank account and you will still have vehicle that might be worth $600 on a good day. Much better options for a Saab exist out there. Keep looking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Run, don't walk, away unless the current owner is willing to give you a sizeable stipend to take it of his hands. How much to rehab this car? How much you got? The cost to rehab this car will break your bank account and you will still have vehicle that might be worth $600 on a good day. Much better options for a Saab exist out there. Keep looking.
Because of the codes? or the car as a whole

·
Super Moderator
20,196 Posts
The car is hardly worth a grand. It needs almost $400 to be functioning normally, assuming nothing outside the ad is busted. These cars have no value which is why it's $600. Some sucker will buy a car for $600 and then watch as it nickle and dimes them to death.

"since I am still in school"
Save your money.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like this line from the posting: "The leather is in good condition."

If you're blind, and have no sense of touch, yes - it is in good condition. If the poster is willing to lie about something so blatantly obvious, what else is he / she hiding?

Certainly not the broken / cracked sunroof, right?

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
If you have plenty of money to spend, go ahead. Your budget should be at least $10,000.
I personally stay away from this "beauty".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts