SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

2010 9-3 base here. All of a sudden, I started hearing almost like a whining sound when the windows were closed and I was driving...it almost sounds like cards in spokes but much faster and higher pitched, and it can be heard mostly on deceleration (foot off gas and brake).

So...I put the car up on jack stands and when I rock the front wheels back and forth (not side to side) I can hear clunking. Should the CV joints make a clunk when going forwards to backwards quickly? I could also hear a faint click when spinning the wheel, but I don't hear it inside or outside the car when turning the wheels.

Also- the steering wheel seems to be communicating more road feel. It's not a vibration, it's more like the feeling of the texture of the road in the steering wheel.

Any ideas/thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You may hear and feel a faint clunk or click when rotating wheel forwards/backwards as there is some play in the transmission but the sound should be more from the transmission and not at the wheel. If you rotate the wheel and feel a rumbling from the hub then it could be the wheel bearing. Also, if anything bumped the dust shield (behind the disc) the brake disc might be touching it, especially if there is rust on the edge of the disc.

Is there any play in the hub when you grab it at 12 and 6 or at 9 and 3 and try to rock the wheel? If there is, suspect the wheel bearing.

How many miles? Auto or Manual?

·
Super Moderator
2,922 Posts
I would try rotating your tires from front to back and see if the sound moves or goes away. I've had chopped tires give this sensation. Costs you nothing and will give you insight on the problem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wheel bearing would be my guess.
A grinding type feel could be felt on the floor board when my passenger side started to go, starting at a speed of 30mph.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree it’s probably wheel bearings. Take the car for a ride to warm it up then lift it and rotate the wheels by hand and see if you feel a grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
For a couple of months, i did the same thing, tried to diagnose the source of the noise (and "feel" in my case). Couldn't feel anything unusual nor could i hear anything while using a "stethoscope" on the hub/bearing. Finally took a chance and ordered a new hub, once i removed the axle from the hub.... Boy I now could feel the "problem" and the "grinding".
While I had the RH axle out, i also replaced the intermediate bearing Add about 2hrs to the job.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Drive the car on a long turn, one time turning right and one time turning left, at speeds similar to the speed u hear the noise, try changing direction (this meant to load the suspension one side a time) if u hear the noise with right suspension loaded (change right bearing) if u hear it with left suspension loaded (change left bearing).
if u hear it equally Good luck then 😂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts