SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get a lot of GM bashing on these forums and quite frankly I'm board of it, I have had my 9-3 for nearly 5 years i have spent a lot of money on improving the brakes and the suspension and have spent lots on improving the power of the engine, all the time doing routine maintenance, until today, when i had to repair my first component failure, yes after 5 years i have had my first component failure, the left hand front strut bearing failed, now does that sound like a car that is of poor quality

I just want to thank PFS for getting the new part to me swiftly so i could fix this today :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here, here!
:D

boxman said:
We get a lot of GM bashing on these forums and quite frankly I'm board of it, I have had my 9-3 for nearly 5 years i have spent a lot of money on improving the brakes and the suspension and have spent lots on improving the power of the engine, all the time doing routine maintenance, until today, when i had to repair my first component failure, yes after 5 years i have had my first component failure, the left hand front strut bearing failed, now does that sound like a car that is of poor quality

I just want to thank PFS for getting the new part to me swiftly so i could fix this today :lol:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I had mine for over 2 and a half years. It never failed once. The steering wheel shakes a bit on the highway but that's probably due to bent Viggen rims. Aside from this no repairs were required just regular maintenance and oil changes.

IMO it's a very reliable car although I'm very proactive with all my cars and rarely do I get stranded in a car although, I got stranded in 2 other GM (non SAAB) cars

·
Registered
523 Posts
The're certainly more reliable than a couple of French cars that i've owned in the past.
If not abused and given regular maintenance as hkayssa points out,their better than most cars their age...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Still Pete67... said:
The're certainly more reliable than a couple of French cars that i've owned in the past.
If not abused and given regular maintenance as hkayssa points out,their better than most cars their age...
Don't talk about French cars, they're some of the crappiest cars on the market :lol: . I had one of them (that I got second hand), a 6 months old Renault. My dad was a Renault BMW dealer. Boy that car spent waaaaaaaay more time in the shop than being driven. It finally met it's maker at 4 years old and having replaced most of its components (transmission, most electronins, heater system, electric seat belt, 2 drive axles, 4 calipers, 2 front wheel bearings, heater hoses, power steering hose, Brake master cylinder, fuel gauge float, battery, 2 alternator, ECU fried due to the bad alternator giving too much voltage, bad relays... and the list would go on and on ) The car was rear ended and went bye bye with 34K miles. Thank God :lol:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
In my opinion they definitely arent great in the reliability area, but nor are they terrible. They will run for quite a long time, but require a lot of maintenance and/or repairs on various ancillary parts along the way.

My car was a single owner, immaculately mainted, nearly showroom condition when I bought it. In the past two years, from 105k miles to 120k, I've needed to do the following:

Repairs:
fuel pump/lines/etc $900 (at dealer-middle of winter, didnt want to deal with it)
new hub and wheel bearing when lug bolt broke off $500
heater core hoses $60
starter $150
serpentine belt & idler $100
new driveshaft - pending

Maintenance:
front pads & rotors $200
oil changes, plugs, air filter, etc

So spread over two years its averaging about $75/month in unscheduled repairs. Again, not bad, but not good either.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've owned Hondas and Nissans with similar miles and in similarly good condition, and the've required about $200 of unscheduled repairs over about 2 years, or $8/month.

I like my Saab a lot, so most of the time its worth it, but when it needs to be towed from the office lot or from a restaurant parking lot on lunch break, it can be trying :)

Hey, keeps it interesting, right? :lol:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
For all it's faults (almost wholy the suspension and steering design )- build quality is very good IMO. The only anhoying thing of late is that a lot of the white plastic trim fasteners are getting brittle with age and simply shattering when you try to remove some trim.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
+ infinity, Box...

You've hit several nails right on the head...

My wife's 97 NG900 just passed 185,000 miles and has had routine maintainence and runs like a champ. The auto transmission is still solid, the engine pulls like a freight train and there have only been two major compnent failures -- an alternator that died when I drove through a deep puddle, and a fuel pump that died at 180K miles...

There have been piddly little things, like foglights, and seat memory controls, and an IAC valve, but the car has been tremendously reliable.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Yeah I hear all of that but one is to expect to replace parts on a car that is 10+ years old. Most of the repairs you guys mentioned are known to break at very known and predictable mileage and should've been replaced long before they failed and stranded you.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Not only is my 9-5 my pride and joy but its my daily driver - absolutely love it :cool:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Mine's never stranded me.

The DI packed in, but got me home (spluttering slightly).
The gearbox ate second gear, but got me home. Twice.
The wheel bearing disintigrated, but the wheel stayed on and it got me home.
The rear spring broke, but I got home.
The rad sprung a leak, but....
The belt and pulley siezed, but....
The CV gaitor(both) split, but....
The original vac pipes all split with regularity, but.....

And like the Murphys, I'm not bitter...........:cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The French, and the English, cars failed on the USA market, I believe the main reason to be their lack of durability..

Saab keeps improving, generally, but there have been backward steps with the GM/Opel based Saabs. The front end is not nearly as rugged as the old 96s and 93s. But the joints and the rubber are much better. The DIC and the CPS must be upgraded - somehow, maybe better cooling ventilation..
Look for different materials for the manifolds in the future...

The Japanese keep raising the reliability bar - its about time GM grasped this both mentally and physically - so far, I have my doubts... GM seems to be locked into advertising rather than engineering for durability expertise...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
hkayssi said:
Yeah I hear all of that but one is to expect to replace parts on a car that is 10+ years old. Most of the repairs you guys mentioned are known to break at very known and predictable mileage and should've been replaced long before they failed and stranded you.
No I know, the failure of the serpentine belt and pulley was definitely my fault, I had been putting it off for too long due to the weather and work.

The fuel pump though went just shortly after I bought it, and wasnt aware of their tendency to fail at that mileage.

The other stuff isnt a big deal either, but in the end maintenance and repairs do add up to significantly more than some other cars.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
redrum said:
No I know, the failure of the serpentine belt and pulley was definitely my fault, I had been putting it off for too long due to the weather and work.

The fuel pump though went just shortly after I bought it, and wasnt aware of their tendency to fail at that mileage.

The other stuff isnt a big deal either, but in the end maintenance and repairs do add up to significantly more than some other cars.
Again, that depends... When you got it, the 100K miles maintenance wasn't done. For the 100K miles, I'd change the radiator hoses, fuel pump, CPS, change the vacuume hoses, clean the IAC and TB and replace the fuel filter. I'd also flush the engine, radiator, power steering, brake and transmission fluids out then retorque the head, ispect for sludge put new fluids in, replace plugs, rotor, wires (I have an N/A :cry: ) and inspect the brake calipers and rear pins. I doubt you could go wrong doing that and those parts are really cheap if bought in advance not last minute. I have most of what I need for the 100K miles and I have 78K now ;)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
CleveSaab said:
Whoever said they were bad?!? :cheesy:
Not me, despite the list. DEFINITELY HAD MUCH WORSE!

Not picked 'Dogshome' name for nothing ;) :cheesy:

·
Registered
591 Posts
just bought my 8th Saab (I think) and its a GM900. I bought it as a run around while I fix my c900.

I was expecting it to be like a Fiat Uno, all tinny and thin. I was completely wrong.

I really could beleive it. I am going to give it much more time now. For me its like a 9000 version of the c900!

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
earthworm said:
the English cars failed on the USA market, I believe the main reason to be their lack of durability..

English/British cars failed in Britain too so don't be surprised :eek: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts