SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

Does anyone know what shocks would be best for my 91 900 SE turbo 16v 2.0 with A.T.? I am looking for superb handling with the very least amount of body roll or lean, and also something that allows for traveling comfortably with some possible towing at times. Additionally, I opt for something that is not too harsh, but not too soft either. Also what type of springs, front/back would be best for this particular model. Is it traditional for most Saab 900s' to somewhat sag in the rear? The shocks look like they would be fairly easy to install. What say you?

Best regards:)

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
91900turbo said:
Also what type of springs, front/back would be best for this particular model. Is it traditional for most Saab 900s' to somewhat sag in the rear? The shocks look like they would be fairly easy to install. What say you?
The dampers are easy to install - but don't forget to give it all a damn good dousing with penetrating oil before you start. New dampers won't affect the sag, though - that's utterly down to knackered springs.

Tightening the handling up will be most effectively achieved by a rebush. See this thread...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115490

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
You are looking for everything in one go there, sorry, that won't be possible. You can have really good handling, or reasonable ride quality with these cars, but not both, you will have to compromise on something.

I'm only saying this because you say "the very least amount of body roll".
If you are willing to compromise a bit, you can get good handling, and ok ride quality. I'd do this by using SPG springs, and bilstein touring shocks, or koni adjustables.

The bilstein hd's are extremely stiff shocks. They are a fair bit stiffer than bilstein touring shocks, or standard sachs/boge items. I know because I have them on my car, along with kilen lowered, stiffer springs. The car handles really, really well, but has no ride "quality" to speak of.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
some like the feeling of riding on an unsprung train car.

... yes for the most part the shocks are really simple to change, with the only PITA situation being the front driver's upper shock, it can get a bit tight in there if you have large paws and are tired of leaning over the front end for a while. a few beers and patience always works.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
DanF. said:
the only PITA situation being the front driver's upper shock
You're in the US, so referring to LH as "driver's", right? Odd. I thought the RH was the difficult one, with the heater box causing far more sweariness than the header tank.

I didn't do the RH one myself - but it apparently took my garagiste mate an hour or two to get off. He wandered out to test drive a car as I started on the LH one - and looked very surprised when he came back ten minutes later in asking "Got it off yet?" when I pointed to it sat on the bench...

One thing springs (sorry...) to mind on the upper front mounts - Saab had used two thin nuts, locknutted together. The replacement Sachs dampers I got came with nylocs. Going with the original made for far easier assembly - you could pull the upper mount into place with the bottom nut, then only need to grip the damper shaft to nip the lock nut up, rather than having to fight the nylon all the way.

One of my new front Sachs desperately needed the thread cleaning up, too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I installed Belstein HD s in my 900. It handles VERY well, but Sonofa... Does it ever ride hard! :suprised; I love it, put my passengers have complained, and even told me I need new shocks! I would recomend the Belstein HDs in a second, but I prefer handeling to ride and be forwarned, it will ride hard. There is nothing like a tight car with a set of Belstein HDshocks :cool: I got mine at eshocks.com. They were expensive, but far cheaper than anybody else.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have not put new shocks in my Saab yet because I have not driven it yet. :cheesy: But, in my Volvo 740 turbo I put Bilstein HDs. As others said, the ride is a bit on the harsh side but at the same time that and 25mm sway bars made the car quite tossable on command. And that is a big car in my book. I have Bilstein tourings in my 94 Jetta and it feels it is just right for that car, a good balance of handling and comfort suitable for a daily driver that gets pushed a bit hard every so often. If I planned on racing the Jetta I would put HDs or some adjustable shocks. Right now I am about to sell it and think the girl who will get it (she wants me to teach her how to drive manual first) will be quite pleased, if not not wonder if the ride is a tad harsh for her.

So, what do you want to do with the Saab? My convertible will get HDs or something adjustable if I can afford.

BTW, I bought the HDs off shox.com and am quite pleased with them. They even sent me for free the Bilstein-brand tool to install the struts.

On a different note, people have told me the HDs are true Bilsteins while the touring are not. What would they mean by that?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I think I would more than likely select the Bilstein touring shocks. Now are those springs just for average height? I don't really want the lowering springs. I want something that is going to give me more ground clearance, not so much like a truck, but sufficient clearance. What would the cost be for the shocks and springs in total? And where might I find the most reasonable priced deal on them? Thanks again! Your responses are greatly appreciated:cool: !!

Best Regards

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah those 740s' are stout like a tank, especially the wagons, good low-end torque!! 500,000 plus original on one of my many that I have owned. My most recent is a 850GLT wagon. Like volvos, Saabs are excellent vehicles!!!:cheesy:
supremedalek said:
I have not put new shocks in my Saab yet because I have not driven it yet. :cheesy: But, in my Volvo 740 turbo I put Bilstein HDs. As others said, the ride is a bit on the harsh side but at the same time that and 25mm sway bars made the car quite tossable on command. And that is a big car in my book. I have Bilstein tourings in my 94 Jetta and it feels it is just right for that car, a good balance of handling and comfort suitable for a daily driver that gets pushed a bit hard every so often. If I planned on racing the Jetta I would put HDs or some adjustable shocks. Right now I am about to sell it and think the girl who will get it (she wants me to teach her how to drive manual first) will be quite pleased, if not not wonder if the ride is a tad harsh for her.

So, what do you want to do with the Saab? My convertible will get HDs or something adjustable if I can afford.

BTW, I bought the HDs off shox.com and am quite pleased with them. They even sent me for free the Bilstein-brand tool to install the struts.

On a different note, people have told me the HDs are true Bilsteins while the touring are not. What would they mean by that?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do indeed have bear paws. However, I shall maintain my patience to obtain my objective, then celebrate:suprised; !! It particularly looks tight near the brake booster and such:( !
DanF. said:
some like the feeling of riding on an unsprung train car.

... yes for the most part the shocks are really simple to change, with the only PITA situation being the front driver's upper shock, it can get a bit tight in there if you have large paws and are tired of leaning over the front end for a while. a few beers and patience always works.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dasander said:
I installed Belstein HD s in my 900. It handles VERY well, but Sonofa... Does it ever ride hard! :suprised; I love it, put my passengers have complained, and even told me I need new shocks! I would recomend the Belstein HDs in a second, but I prefer handeling to ride and be forwarned, it will ride hard. There is nothing like a tight car with a set of Belstein HDshocks :cool: I got mine at eshocks.com. They were expensive, but far cheaper than anybody else.
eshocks.com? Are they apart of eeuroparts.com? Thanks!

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that the Bilstein HDs are hard dampers. In the UK, the Bilstein HDs are the same as the B6s (Sportline) and they are a touring damper. In other markets, the HD is softer than the B6 (Sprintline).

Non-UK market B6/HDs should roughly be an OE replacement. UK B6/HDs are a fast-road damper.

Maybe the HDs are hard when fitted to tired springs. Anyone run HDs with new properly-matched springs?

If you want an OE sport damper, the original Sachs/Boge units are still available to buy new. A bit of forum searching will give you more information.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
You're in the US, so referring to LH as "driver's", right? Odd. I thought the RH was the difficult one, with the heater box causing far more sweariness than the header tank.

I didn't do the RH one myself - but it apparently took my garagiste mate an hour or two to get off. He wandered out to test drive a car as I started on the LH one - and looked very surprised when he came back ten minutes later in asking "Got it off yet?" when I pointed to it sat on the bench...

One thing springs (sorry...) to mind on the upper front mounts - Saab had used two thin nuts, locknutted together. The replacement Sachs dampers I got came with nylocs. Going with the original made for far easier assembly - you could pull the upper mount into place with the bottom nut, then only need to grip the damper shaft to nip the lock nut up, rather than having to fight the nylon all the way.

One of my new front Sachs desperately needed the thread cleaning up, too.
Try it on an ABS car :eek:

·
Registered
888 Posts
91900turbo said:
eshocks.com? Are they apart of eeuroparts.com? Thanks!

I don't think there is a connection. They are the same as eguages.com, where I got my replacement vdo outside temp guage. They show up on my credit card statement as something like dons recreational vehicles.

·
4,637 Posts
900t said:
Try it on an ABS car :eek:
I did. The old one came off no bother but I couldn't get the new nylok tight. There's about 1/2mm of play for the washer to rattle around. You can hear a quiet 'click' at every bump...

Anyone want to lend me the shock shaft tool?...

·
Registered
278 Posts
philb said:
The bilstein hd's are extremely stiff shocks. They are a fair bit stiffer than bilstein touring shocks, or standard sachs/boge items. I know because I have them on my car, along with kilen lowered, stiffer springs. The car handles really, really well, but has no ride "quality" to speak of.
x2. I have yet to drive my car with HD's but when I pumped them by hand a few times they were about impossible to pump.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts