SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all!

I got an '07, didn't come with XM. If I got one of those TERK universal tuners, with the right cable, can I get it to work with my radio?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same question. I just bought the car Saturday. The dealer had a silver 2.0T configured exactly the way I wanted with the exception on the XM radio.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't believe so, if it was they would have given you an free 3 month subscription to get you to keep it. You could most likely tie it in through an input in the back of the head unit or the aux jack if not.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just wondering what the physical differences are between the head unit of the XM ready vs. non-XM ready (mine?) units. I think that they look identical otherwise.

In fact, I rented an XM equipped Saturn Aura and it had more or less the same radio as the 9-3. Worked exactly the same, except XM was a choice of bands.

This is actually why I'm so interested. I liked how XM integrated with the radio. Much slicker than my XM Xpress EZ wired through the AUX port.

I wonder if the headunit is the same, but the XM tuner box and antenna are deleted on my car. Then, to make it work, I'd need the Terk universal tuner, the proper cable, and an antenna (wired up through the sharkfin, of course).

And maybe a trip to the dealer to have the XM feature enabled?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what little there is on this topic on the 'net...

For other 2007 GM radios, which look VEEEEERY similar to the 9-3 radio (basically just a different volume button), if the radio has a "CAT" button, it is able to add an "XMDirect Tuner", with the addition of a vehicle specific cable. The Aura cable is "GM4". I'd bet that that would work for the 9-3.

I haven't gone out to look if I have the "CAT" button, but I'm guessing that I don't. Can't recall seeing it.

Also, if your presets have numbers, you're out of luck. No XM.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe that nobody knows the answer to this simple question!

So I took a closer look at the "infortainment" manual. The base radio doesn't have a "CAT" button, it has a "PTY" button. But it does the same thing as the "CAT" button on the other GM radios (i.e. controls the category on the XM radio, or as Saab puts it, "Program TYpe").

The presets aren't numbered either.

So I think that this radio is absolutely XM ready and totally compatible with the XMDirect reciever. All that is needed is the proper cable. My speculation is that it is the "GM4" cable, same as the 2007 Aura.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Krieg,

That was my original suspicion as well but now I'm not too sure. From what I have been able to find on the net, while most GM radios look alike they are programmed quite differnetly.

I believe even if you were able to connect an XM box to the back of the unit you would need to have the dealer use the Tech II to allow the two units to talk. I think this is why you see numerous options for lower end GM products but nothing for Saab and Cadillac.

I plan to keep working on this. I have only had the car for 4 days, there must be a solution.

I did a temp install of my old roady II through the aux input last night to get me by until I can figure out something better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
According to 2007 Brochure, XM is available with 2.0T only if you have the premium audio (270W Bose for sedan, 300W combi) option.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that you may need Tech II to enable XM.

Look at the "Infotainment" manual regarding the differences between the various speaker systems. It doesn't seem to me that there are any differences between headunits. The differences are the amps and the speaker configurations, differences downstream of the headunit. For example, the Bose setup clearly has an amp in the trunk.

So if the headunit is the same between the various setups, and the XM interfaces with the headunit, you should be able to use XMDirect with the 150W system, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It can't be that simple, can it? If it was, who in their right mind would pay $450 or so for factory XM when they could plug in XMDirect for $99?

I was assuming the factory XM was a different type of box with a different type of interface to keep people from doing what you are suggesting.

Have you or anyone asked a dealer what would be involved in adding XM to our units or if it's even possible?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XMDirect is not all that cheap. I haven't seen it for less than $200 with the GM4 interface. And that's online, not at some installer.

Then you have installation. If you can do it yourself, that's a big savings, although your time has to be worth something. Otherwise, installation is going to cost you something, probably not less than $100, I'd guess.

And that $450 is MSRP, not invoice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just looking at the XMdirect. You're right, $200 or so with the GM4 adaptor.
With that said, I think we would be able to plug it all in just like on the saturn Aura but when the Tech II goes to allow the head unit to "see" the XM, it will not work because it's not an official GM unit.

From what I have been able to gather, on the other GM cars like the Aura you dont need the Tech II to activate the XM.

This is just an educated guess mind you. The lack of real info is maddening!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that there's a high probability that you need Tech II to enable XM.

On the other hand, I looked at the FAQ that tells you what Tech II can do. I didn't see anything radio related.

Now, that FAQ is a little outdated. It was from 2003. Maybe the new radios are different? Who knows.

Based on the FAQ, I'd bet that there's a 50-50 chance that you need Tech II.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
e-mail to unitedradio:

"Any idea if the GM4 XMDirect works with the radio in ['07 9-3]? The radio is very similar to other GM radios like the one in the Aura. It has the "CAT" button and doesn't have numbers on the presets."

Reply:

I'm not sure. We've never tested it, but it should have the same bus system, and it should work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any idea how to get the unit out of the dash? I'm thinking about pulling it and sending pictures of the front and rear off to see if it looks like the cables will at least fit. The GM3 looks like it may also work, it's another, newer, LAN style radio.

As a side note, I havent bought a new car since my Explorer in 1996. Things sure have gotten more complicated...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I sure burns my **** that I have the same radio as your average Saturn driver... If I find a 2006-era "too many buttons for the focus groups" model, will it fit in my '07? I think I would sacrfifice XM radio just to get rid of this pedantic thing...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, it sucks, my 07 9-3 didn't come with XM. Wondering if theres a way to get a Sirius chip or something. I doubt the dealership will do it though.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Search the forums for "radio removal". There is a thread for 2007 radio removal. You don't need any special tools.

I look forward to seeing some pics!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to try and pull that thing and photograph it this weekend.

There is an independant, Saab specific, shop in town whom I believe has the Tech II equipment. Two co-workers with Saab's speak very highly of them.
I'm going to try and swing by in the next couple of days and get their input on this and to see if they would be willing to activate the XM with the Tech II.
It doesent make sense that Saabs are the only GM cars in which you can't do this. Than again, with GM, I guess anything is possible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts