SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 2.25 inch exhaust systems interchangeable between an 8V and 16v Turbo at the exhaust elbow after the Turbo, year 1988? ie is the exhaust mounting the same?

If so, anyone got any pictures to prove this? Searched the forum and couldn't find any comparisons? :confused:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I'm not sure about the answer to the original question, but there is no similarity between a T8 and T16 manifold.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Sorry if I gave bad info, they look the same to me. I'm shure I just put a new old stock exhaust gasket for an 8v on my 16v, and it works fine.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
jetman said:
I'm not sure about the answer to the original question, but there is no similarity between a T8 and T16 manifold.
But I think the exhaust elbow (cast steel) on the exhaust side of the turbo is the same for all T8's and T16's at least for all the years I've seen pics of.

Craig.

PS. Sorry to anyone who was trying to access my Saab site(s)... DSL was down for 2 weeks until Tuesday this week.. ISP wholesaler stuffed up!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jetman said:
I beg to differ. Changes in bungs and blanks perhaps, but they still look the same to me. Someone please enlighten me.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
grif900 said:
I beg to differ. Changes in bungs and blanks perhaps, but they still look the same to me. Someone please enlighten me.
How they mount to the cylinder head is different.

Craig.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
c900 said:
But I think the exhaust elbow (cast steel) on the exhaust side of the turbo is the same for all T8's and T16's at least for all the years I've seen pics of.

Craig.

So, assuming that the T8 and T16s exhaust mounting at the elbow is the same, would it be safe to assume that the shape of the exhaust after that is the same down through to the exhaust tunnel where it meets the back box before the rear axle?
l
See picture of T8 exhaust below, pay particular attention to the longer section, which looks like it has the angles needed to get from the turbo elbow to the front of the rear box. ;)

·
4,637 Posts
That downpipe looks, from the pic, as if the flange is almost horizontal. That's not how the T16 downpipe is. You could have an identical elbow but mounted differently and not fit. You also have the fact that the 16V head is wider than the 8V (isn't it?) in which case the manifold could be the same but the turbo be in a different location in the engine bay.

OTOH, from the bottom of the downpipe to the tailpipe should be the same...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well finally got to the bottom of the exhaust compatiblity between an 8V and 16V turbo. My 1988 16s has 3 mounting bolts to the turbo elbow and the 8v has 4 as shown below.....

If anyone is interested this is on e-bay with 7hrs to go Item number: 160175983229 for £25 no bids. This is a straight through for an 8V Turbo Classic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts