SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what other points of origin could explain the kind of fumes that irritate the Schnozola, the Sinuses and Eyeballs? When my '03 Aero gets warmed up, the irritation begins....it's either oil or exhaust...Can't tell the difference but I need some help...Dealer had a go at it and says it is NOT PCV related...they have it another day.....Any suggestions guys? Thanks very much.....Zebulon

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Zebulon said:
what other points of origin could explain the kind of fumes that irritate the Schnozola, the Sinuses and Eyeballs? When my '03 Aero gets warmed up, the irritation begins....it's either oil or exhaust...Can't tell the difference but I need some help...Dealer had a go at it and says it is NOT PCV related...they have it another day.....Any suggestions guys? Thanks very much.....Zebulon
Could mean you need a new cabin filter. Maybe once the car heats up, it starts pumping out heat which might magnify the bacteria on the filter or something along those lines.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sector....anyone else? Zebulon....(Don't forget to request Saab Central Stickers boys.....)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Oil leak? Isnt the oil pressure sensor at the back of the block and prone to leak?

Also that rubber gasket where the PCV joins the cam cover :confused:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Can you smell it outside the car or only inside?
Can you see any spots under the car after it has been sitting?

Try starting your car, press the recirculate button so you are not sucking in outside air and press the off button, keep the windows rolled up.
See if you still get the smell inside the car. If you don't then it is something burning off the block or exhaust. If you do, then it might be something with your h-vac unit, possibly an antifreeze leak.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Has the exhaust been checked for integrity?
Every new part fitted to my car has to swear on the Bilble that it will not fail - now thats integrity :p

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Whats a bilble? :lol:
Ah - erm............... ;oops: ;oops:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealership has had it for two days....I did my homework by printing out suggestions from the Forum...Now I'm probably screwed. Thay are unable to find the problem. I don't have a lot of faith in this Dealership...everyone who works there looks unhappy all the time, like they pass out Lemons at start time. I may need to consider another store if this one can't do the car....Saab Dealership network over here is not too keen.....Thanks all for the possiblities...I'll be sure to tell you what I was billed for....Car is out of warrantee, they won't be in a hurry now.......Zebulon

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealership had the car for 3 days....can't find ANYTHING!!! I'm going to have the Cabin air filter repalced as SectorNine50 suggested...Chris and Kermit...they swear the've checked each and every item suggested by you guys and found nuffin'.....maybe my desire to "help" by printing the threads from the Forum jacked them up....Oh well, there's one more Saab Dealership within driving distance left...I'll keep you all posted...this one should have been properly dispatched by now! Thank you all for the help......Zebulon

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Second Saab Dealership had it for two days....Determined to do a better job, I'm confident that their Techs did everything immaginable to find my problem. They did not. I may be just hyper-sensitive now that the car is closed up all the time and that I'm using the heater instead of the air...I just don't know...but I am assured that there is nothing to leak left in the car but myself....! I had the cabin filter changed out and bought a bottle of eye drops....We'll see...Thanks for all the suggestions guys......Zebulon

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Wife claims she can smell it after I pull into the garage....I've never bothered to smell under the hood. I'm probably simply losing my mind....Until I start bleeding from the eyes and mouth, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.....Zebulon

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
As already mentioned in this thread, the first thing I would also check is the oil pressure sensor. It's located on the back of the engine block directly above the exhuast. They are very prone to leaking, and when they do, they drip oil down onto your scorching hot exhaust, which then burns off and causes quite a noxious stink through the vents.

Alternatively there's the coolant bypass valve on the firewall, also above the exhaust, and that can cause burning coolant. It is also an item with a fairly high rate of failure.

Other than that, ensure the PCV hoses are solid, and check for any other possible oil leaks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
After re-reading this post, the odour described does fit the oil on the hot exhaust condition. I had this happen on my other car from oil leaking out of the rear seal due to inferior oil installed by an independant shop. The suggestions are good, but this is what those two dealerships were supposed to be doing. The hard thing about this one is that there will be no drips. The evidence is constantly being burned off.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Guys.......The problem was solved. Thanks very much for all the advice. I am truly humbled by all the help offered. SectorNine50 suggested early in the game that it could be a cabin filter. Turns out that it must have been the problem after all. When I reported the filter change-out earlier, I was mistaken...it hadn't been done yet. After the second dealer gave it a try, it was discovered that the cabin filter had NOT been replaced...which they promptly took care of..........
Odor is gone, burning eyes and nose are gone, smile has returned. At least I know that the other suggested problems are not the culprit ....yet.
Thank you all again, I really appreciate all the help guys....sincerely.....Zebulon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts