SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked my Viggen. :cry: The damage is mostly contained to the front end and the air bags did not go off. My insurance company is totaling the car, though, and the repair quotes I got are more than the insurance payout and I'm not handy enough to do it myself.

It's a 2001 Viggen convertible with 136K original miles, new rotors and brakes, a Genuine Saab steering rack brace and rear roll bar, rebuilt convertible top motor, updated vacuum system, and new steering pump hose. There is a new DIC with a spare. I also have a spare mass airflow sensor. I broke the remote key but I still have the transmitter. The SID is pixellated. The top is about 5 years old and I replaced the 5th bow something or other hose that blew after the new top was installed.

Knowing how rare this car is I'm willing to sell it to someone (as is, where is) who can either put it back together or who can use it for parts. I have no idea what it may be worth in this condition. GEICO offered me $550 for salvage. It is located in Charleston, SC, and is not driveable so you will have to have it transported.

Photos in the attached Google Photos album. I need to let GEICO know within a week or so whether I want to keep it or let them salvage it.

https://goo.gl/photos/J1qLTMbLvAqTby6u8

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
Why isn't it driveable? Just the broken lights?

It's worth a lot more than $550, unless there's some damage beyond the bumper, lights, wheels, and minor scrapes that I can't see. Don't hesitate to buy it if you can have it for that price and get your settlement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the steering or suspension is out of whack

I have to turn the wheel about 20 degrees to the left to get it to drive straight. I don't know if it's just the alignment or if something was bent. I haven't put it up on a rack to check. Also, both front wheels are bent.

It will need at a minimum corner lights, fog lights, front bumper and most of its attachment pieces, side marker lights, passenger side mirror, possibly a driver side mirror cover, trunk lid, two new wheels, and a full repaint.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Geico is not the best of insurance companies.... better known as thieves. Be happy you got anything.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Many don't know or remember but Geico was caught in NJ, already the insurance fraud capital of the country, buying radar guns for municipalities in the late 80s and were banned from selling insurance in NJ by that state's government until recently.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Hope this is the worst result of your mistake!

Questions:

Looks like you've been running regular green coolant instead of pink G-12?
How long?
Also, it appears in the pix that the clear coat/paint on the rear deck spoiler is suffering?

So how much for the whole car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still have it

Someone from this forum contacted me who seemed really interested, then he disappeared. I posted some more photos in the Google album since I first uploaded it, mostly interior shots.

I was hoping to get $1K for it. Please bear in mind you will need to transport it from Charleston, SC. It is driveable for a short distance and nothing is scrubbing and there aren't any weird noises or wobbles from the front end, but you do have to turn the wheel about 60 degrees to make it go straight. I don't know if something is bent or if it's merely the alignment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know it's never run pink G-12. I don't know if it makes a difference that I live in Charleston where it rarely gets below freezing for more than a few hours. It's kind of odd that the spoiler is fading since I had it replaced after I got rear-ended in 2009.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
As far as I know it's never run pink G-12. I don't know if it makes a difference that I live in Charleston where it rarely gets below freezing for more than a few hours. It's kind of odd that the spoiler is fading since I had it replaced after I got rear-ended in 2009.
Its not the temp, its what the sauce does to the internals. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked my Viggen.
The damage is mostly contained to the front end and the air bags did not go off. My insurance company is totaling the car, though, and the repair quotes I got are more than the insurance payout and I'm not handy enough to do it myself.

It's a 2001 Viggen convertible with 136K original miles, new rotors and brakes, a Genuine Saab steering rack brace and rear roll bar, rebuilt convertible top motor, updated vacuum system, and new steering pump hose. There is a new DIC with a spare. I also have a spare mass airflow sensor. I broke the remote key but I still have the transmitter. The SID is pixellated. The top is about 5 years old and I replaced the 5th bow something or other hose that blew after the new top was installed.

Knowing how rare this car is I'm willing to sell it to someone (as is, where is) who can either put it back together or who can use it for parts. I have no idea what it may be worth in this condition. GEICO offered me $550 for salvage. It is located in Charleston, SC, and is not driveable so you will have to have it transported.

Photos in the attached Google Photos album. I need to let GEICO know within a week or so whether I want to keep it or let them salvage it.

https://goo.gl/photos/J1qLTMbLvAqTby6u8

how much do you want for the motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your wrecked Viggen

If you by chance still have your Viggen I will buy it. I live in East Tennessee and my Viggen has rear end damage so I would like to repair mine.

Please call me at 423-335-6888 and leave a message if you don't get me, thanks.

Guy Maddox

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.