SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone living around knoxville, tennessee want to help a young gent out with replacing the alternator bushings on a 1988 900T? I'll buy the beer. Ha. My alt is quite loose and tends to whine at me when the i'm asking a lot of it. If anyone could lend a hand, that would be incredible seeing as how I have never attempted to change out an alt or the bushings on a saab. Would rather not find any surprises (like a damn 4mm caliper piston retracter - not a C-clamp).

So, please, if ya can help or know anybody; anything would help!

-spence

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
So, please, if ya can help or know anybody; anything would help!-spence
Do you have the Bentley's manual? That would be a good first step.
Here's a good DIY: http://townsendimports.com/Web/electrical_system_folder/altbushregreplace.htm

Do a search on this forum and you will find more information.

Replace the alternator support arm bushing along with the two alt bushings.

The only "trick" involved is getting the large bolt out that passes through the bushings and which the alternator pivots on. There's not enough clearance to just slip the bolt out; it hits the firewall.

First disconnect the battery ground, remove alt wires (make a diagram), remove the belts and the AC compressor. Then you need to remove the alternator bracket that's bolted to the block. If I recall correctly there are three screws that hold it on, two allen and one 12mm. I usually just take the top 2 out and then rotate the bracket forward on the bottom screw which angles the pivot bolt up enough to give you clearance.

If you're the least bit mechanical you can do this. Read up and do your homework first. Be patient and don't force anything. Ask for help on this forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts