SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new Dexos specs, it seems like a lot of synthetics oils can be used in our cars.

Is anyone running an oil *other than* Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-30? If so, what?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I used to run Royal Purple 0W-40, didn't care to pay an extra $5/quart though so I went back to Mobil 1. I'm not up to date on all this Dexos spec stuff but I'd assume most ful synthetics in the right viscosity can be used. I think the only reason Mobil 1 was preferred and suggested by GM/Saab was because it was certified for 10,000 mile intervals between changes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I run lubromoly 5w40.. the 5qt jug is $34 around here at napa, and I always have extra, as I buy two initially, thne the next 4 oil changes I only buy 1. Car starts great in the -10 in the winter and runs perfect in the summer.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just curious, why are there so many posts with folks looking for alternatives to Mobil 1? I understand that the stuff is slightly more expensive than other oils, but with a 10,000 mile oil change interval you're talking maybe a $30 a year differece depending on how many miles you drive. Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart *** or put anyone down, I just honestly don't understand the motivation. I understand if M1 isn't available where you live. But is it just because of the price or are you looking for something better than mobil 1?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Just curious, why are there so many posts with folks looking for alternatives to Mobil 1? I understand that the stuff is slightly more expensive than other oils, but with a 10,000 mile oil change interval you're talking maybe a $30 a year differece depending on how many miles you drive. Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart *** or put anyone down, I just honestly don't understand the motivation. I understand if M1 isn't available where you live. But is it just because of the price or are you looking for something better than mobil 1?
Surely there are Oils just as good or even better than M1.... in my case it was more convenient to put in Pennzoil 5W30 for a while than go hunting for Mobil 1, when I found a good saab Indy after I moved he recommended that since I'm higher mileage I start using 10W30 so I went back to M1, which he had. IMO, a lot of folks look for the convenience alternative. And some, realize there are legitimate alternatives which in fact can save a few bucks, there not necessarily cheapo's, just prudent. And don't forget this thing called Product Placement... Deals are made, no manufacturer is going to build a car that can run on only one oil, spark plug or Branded item. Before GM took over the recommended Saab 0W30 Turbo Oil was ELF, not Mobil.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I went from mobile one to royal purple and now am using Elf total 5w40. Heard some bad things from jzw about mobil one and royal was expensive and is said to breakdown easily. Jzw and VAST audi performance shop reccommended elf to me and its only $6.50 a quart from s and g import parts. Its a French oil that exceeds any usa based oil and its what performance shops use so its pretty legit. I still change my oil every 5xxx because of the way i drive it though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just switched to Valvoline SynPower 5w-40. The merits of Mobil 1 are overrated, there are quite a few oils that exceed the quality of Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I guess these threads confuse me because I've yet to see any real evidence that other oils are better in our cars than Mobil 1. I don't want to sound like the Mobil 1 cheerleader, but do we have any proof that ______ is better than Mobil 1?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
If GM used it for original fill, and the dealers use it, why change it? If you have the car serviced at stealership or use the GM/Saab approved oil, and something goes wrong, you followed their specifications, so its less ammo you give them

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I guess these threads confuse me because I've yet to see any real evidence that other oils are better in our cars than Mobil 1. I don't want to sound like the Mobil 1 cheerleader, but do we have any proof that ______ is better than Mobil 1?

Do we have any proof that mobil 1 is better than any other fully Synthetic Oils? .... it's the GM Recommendation, GM and Mobil have a Product Placement deal. Just like Sunoco is the official fuel of NASCAR

No one is saying anything is better, there are simply alternatives, like the Denso plugs my car runs fine on and the BG Power Steering fluid that it steers fine on and the Aftermarket tires and brakes that also seem to work well.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I use whatever full synthec oil that I can get that's 0w40 and 5w30. Im currently using Napa brand. Honestly I dont know why most ppl say we can only use Mobil. If we can only use Mobil then why did gm change to this new kind. Oil is oil. Except sheetz brand. I wont buy that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm seriously not trying to start yet another oil war discussion. But I would say *yes* we have plenty of evidence that Mobil 1 is a great oil, because in the 4 1/2 years I've been on this forum, I've only read about one engine failure. Since most folks use Mobil 1, that's a great argument to continue to use it. Again, I'm not saying there aren't better oils out there. I agree, there probably are, but why mess with a good thing?
Honestly, I'm sure anyone using just about any synthetic out there wouldn't have an oil related problem....but again why chance it? If we were hearing about our motor crapping out at 150,000 or 200,000 miles, then I would understand why people would be looking to switch, but that's just not the case.

I bet you guys are the same ones I see at Taco Bell making the witches brew at the soda station. 'I can make it better if I add 1/4 Pepsi, 1/4 Mountain Dew, 1/4 lemonade and 1/4 Dr. Pepper'. Does it really taste better? Hell no! But you showed those darn marketing folks and product engineers that you can do it better! ;)

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I'm seriously not trying to start yet another oil war discussion. But I would say *yes* we have plenty of evidence that Mobil 1 is a great oil, because in the 4 1/2 years I've been on this forum, I've only read about one engine failure. Since most folks use Mobil 1, that's a great argument to continue to use it. Again, I'm not saying there aren't better oils out there. I agree, there probably are, but why mess with a good thing?
Honestly, I'm sure anyone using just about any synthetic out there wouldn't have an oil related problem....but again why chance it? If we were hearing about our motor crapping out at 150,000 or 200,000 miles, then I would understand why people would be looking to switch, but that's just not the case.

I bet you guys are the same ones I see at Taco Bell making the witches brew at the soda station. 'I can make it better if I add 1/4 Pepsi, 1/4 Mountain Dew, 1/4 lemonade and 1/4 Dr. Pepper'. Does it really taste better? Hell no! But you showed those darn marketing folks and product engineers that you can do it better! ;)
In all the cars I've leased or owned over my 50 years of driving, this is the first car where I have seen a manufacturer recommend a Brand of Oil, weights and change Intervals yes. In 50 years I have not experienced an Oil related failure and have only used Synthetic oil/Mobil 1 in this and my 88 Saabs... My last 88 c900 used the Saab 0W30 Turbo Oil, my non aspirated 900 used Quaker State Dino... Use what ever your comfortable with and change it at the oil manufacturers suggested Interval. I'm not going to argue for or against Mobil1... let people choose what they want, and now there's plenty to choose from. Oh, and regarding the soda fountain thing.... maybe there not saying they can make it better, maybe they just simply like the taste.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So what other vicositys are acceptable to run besides 0w-40?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I get the Dexos spec correctly, it replaces the old GM LL spec that few oils apart from Mobil 1 0W40 and Castrol 0W30 meet.

The Dexos webpage has a list of companies that meet (and paid the cash to license) the spec---most are 5W30.

As someone else said on a different thread, the Mobil 1 0W40 we buy now is much different than the one sold 10 years ago. The add packs and ASM specs have changed over the decade.

If people are changing every 5000 miles, I would guess that any *quality* synthetic (Dexos spec or not) would work at 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, and 5W40.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Any of the Dexos oils should be just fine. But for the best protection a GM Long Life 025 oil will be the best. The Dexos spec isn't near as rigid--pretty much just a synthetic spec.

A 40 weight oil will give a bit better protection.

I think I'm one of the few that has done regular Used Oil Analysis on the 3 Saabs in the last 9 years.
I used primarily the only 2 readily available GM LL oils, M1 0W 40 and German Castrol 0W 30.
The Mobile 1 was able to go over 17,000 mi. with additive still left. Under nearly identical driving conditions the Castrol was about depleted after 14,000 mi.
I also ran Royal Purple 0W40 for 17,000 but didn't do an UOA unfortunately--I was real curious how that would have held up. On a side note I called RP tech services and asked how long the RP could go and they say to not really go any further that 12,000 mi. I told them I had been running the M1 0W40 for extended drains the tech said surprisingly that the M1 0W40 is an excellent oil and theirs would not last as long however really isn't designed to go that long.

If you aren't going to go for extended drains any full synthetic should be fine for most uses however I would recommend a 40 weight.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts