SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You shouldn't do that. I'll have to wipe the steam and slaver off the monitor now. :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Toma0926 said:
what is so great about the viggen engine? aren't there a lot of problems with the pistons cracking?
Some will say different things. But typically, they aren't as stron (the pistons) for heavy boost. So it depends on how much you plan on modifying sort of.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Yeah but if you are going to have a Viggen engine out, you can modify it. he good thing about having a Viggen 2.3 is that you have a higher starting point for mods.

But, as Mike Sauders will tell you, probably best if you already have a T7 car.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah, there's an excellent thread about a year back that talks about one guy who blew up his Viggen motor and did a LOT of research about what would be best to put in.

After all of it, I'm pretty sure he went with stock viggen pistons.

Reasons:

Aero pistons are heaver so dont rev as fast. He said that for a full on race car, this is preferred, but for some reason wanted Viggen ones for the street. Plus, he said that the reason these pistons crack is heat, and with a properly tuned car teh temps are controlled, negating this problem

Forged pistons are a problem too because they have a different reaction to heat than regular pistons and can actually machine the Cylindar Wall

If you're really interested, check this out
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38373&page=2&pp=20&highlight=forged+viggen+pistons

I think that if I ever need to replace the Viggen engine, I'd prefer the over engineered Aero pistons with proper tuning, and a lightened flywheel to help offset any weight difference. Mmmm lightened flywheel...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts