SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my previous post my quest for a quick rack has drawn a blank. I have spoken to Quaife and they may be able to do a limited run of 10 minimum rack kits. They cannot give me an exact price until they have seen an original, but we narrowed it down to somewhere around the 100 - 120GBP mark.
I'm certainly in for two myself, but are there another eight buyers out there?
I will be looking at a ratio of around 2.5 turns lock to lock RHD.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Its come around at the wrong time for me unfortunately. althought i could save on a gym membership and still get arms like popeye. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Would 2.5 turns lock to lock be driveable on the road and the odd track day, or would it really only be suited to use on the loose stuff?

I seem to remember posts previously saying something to the effect that even the slightly quicker ratio EMS rack (around 3.4??) was fiendishly heavy to handle...???

I used to cope OK with the manual steering on my '70 Mustang, and that was heavy enough that if I tried to turn the wheel whilst stationery, the wheel stayed put and I rotated in the seat!!! :eek: ;) That said, it did improve substantially once on the move...

·
Registered
645 Posts
On my EMS i never found it to be overly heavy and really didnt see what the fuss was about. Parking was where you noticed the difference but even then it wasnt impossible my other half never had a problem. Im a big lad though so probably not the best judge:D.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's a good price, you can put me down for one. I think it will be a struggle to get 10 interested parties because of the RHD fitment, i'll ask around and try to get some more interested parties.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am definitely interested at that sort of price too - just a little concerned about the usability of a 2.5 turn rack on the street...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Mark_A said:
I am definitely interested at that sort of price too - just a little concerned about the usability of a 2.5 turn rack on the street...
My EMS was OK when i was using it daily, although tyre choice makes a difference also, when i fist got the EMS it had Pirelli's on and the steering was heavier than with the Bridgestone RE720's.
If this quick rack does get made it won't really be for a road car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
sonett1 said:
If this quick rack does get made it won't really be for a road car.
Thanks Dave, that's pretty much what I suspected.

That said, provided the guide price is more or less accurate, it's not so much money that I'm not prepared to suck it and see.. I'm sure it'll sell on the bay of fleas if I can't live with it ;)

Put me down for one too please :cheesy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, thats two down already! Please note the price at the moment is just a guide from Quaife, but looking at their other kits I can't see why it should be much more. If I get a few more positive interests I will get a rack sent off to them this week for a full quote and schedule. The guy at Quaife said they had just bought a new rack cutting machine so there should'nt be any problems knocking out more unusual stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts