SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Linear has started a new noise...it is dependant on the road condition, but if things are just right a high pitch whining noise starts up - seems to be on the right side of the facia centerline, and it sounds like 2 plastic parts rubbing together. As soon as the road smooths out, it stops.

I am trying to find a surface near my dealer that has the conditions to make this noise...otherwise its going to be another "can't duplicate" deal.

If anyone has had this problem, I'd like to know...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yea!!

I have noticed that too. I just thought something is loose, same possible location. It's very intermittent. I had a technician take it for a spin, with no luck. Fill me in if you find anything out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a noise in mine when driving about 185+ km/h. I've actually managed to record it, and could mail it to anyone interested. It is a high pitch noise which doesn't seem to depend on the road condition, but on the speed. As soon as I hit 185 km/h, it starts.

SAAB technicians claimed that it is caused by a badly glued/insulated front windscreen. Basically the wind (at such speeds) gets stuck in small pockets and cuase the noise. Another suggestions was the plastic material around the windscreen got bent up and generated the noise. I've been asked to take the car to a SAAB service, for them to glue it.

For me, this noise has nothing to do with the surface of the road...

·
Registered
86 Posts
kassai said:
I It is a high pitch noise which doesn't seem to depend on the road condition, but on the speed. As soon as I hit 185 km/h, it starts.
I hear something like this in my car as well, and it only occurs at highway speeds. At first I thought it was a bad seal in the windshield, then I noticed it only happened when the AC unit automatically switched over to recirc. The next time I heard the noise, I manually turned off the recirc. button to see if it was indeed responsible, and sure enough, the noise went away!

·
Registered
23 Posts
And I thought I was losing my mind ...

Heard the noise last week while at highway speeds. I suspected that it was how the air was moving over the wipers - I will try the air conditioning suggestion next time ...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it might be hvac related, I tried turning off the hvac entirely, it did not have any effect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rja said:
The next time I heard the noise, I manually turned off the recirc. button to see if it was indeed responsible, and sure enough, the noise went away!
I have tried all sorts of things - turned off the Infotainment, I have let the turbo charger rest and have turned the air conditioning system completely off. However, I'm not sure what actually happens with recirc when You simply press off on the air conditioning. Why is recirculation activated automatically?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You might also consider your tires. If your noise is road-surface dependant, it might well be related to tires. As tires wear and age, they frequently get noisier. You could rotate the tires and see if that has any effect on the noise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
kassai said:
Why is recirculation activated automatically?
The computer turns on recirculation automatically in order to get the AC blowing cold air faster. Rather than cool really hot air outside, it will cool off the already cooled air inside the cabin.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might also consider your tires. If your noise is road-surface dependant, it might well be related to tires. As tires wear and age, they frequently get noisier. You could rotate the tires and see if that has any effect on the noise.

This is a late reply to my orignal thread...I think you are correct about the tires...

I rotated them front to back and the noise went away...for about 4,000 miles... when it came back... and in the same road area as before. So it is likely a tire/wear issue.

Thanks,

·
Banned
975 Posts
Keep in mind that with scenarios like this a lot of times everyone has their own individual problems ;) Yeah its possible a few of you guys have the same thing making noise but the chances of that are pretty slim.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Modern cars are so quiet in the cabin that when you hear a small sound it sounds terrible, dont worry to much about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts