SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a second 9000 Aero after I discovered that the rust on my first 9000 was beyond repairing.
The car is in good condition and very nearly has a full service history. It pulls like an Aero should but I can't find any evidence in the service records that the TD04 turbo has been replaced or rebuild in the last 100k miles of it's life.

I was contemplating purchasing a TD04 rebuild kit from SaabPerformanceParts (link below):

http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item240.htm

I'm hoping to rebuild the turbo myself if it's not an overly complex process. I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with these kits and could comment on them.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Have a had an SPG9 Turbo Rebuild kit in my Box 'o bits for 12/14 YEARS.
Not yet had need of it ;)
A turbo rebuild Does require a Large special purpose Ring pliers. Got a pair yet?
Elephant in the room question:
Does your Turbo actually Need a rebuild ?
Does it Screeeech?
Blow oil??
Or otherwise show obvious signs of dying ?
Wiggling (or trying to) the end of the compressor shaft will reliably tell you it's general condition.. that and a massive fog bank behind your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a had an SPG9 Turbo Rebuild kit in my Box 'o bits for 12/14 YEARS.
Not yet had need of it ;)
A turbo rebuild Does require a Large special purpose Ring pliers. Got a pair yet?
Elephant in the room question:
Does your Turbo actually Need a rebuild ?
Does it Screeeech?
Blow oil??
Or otherwise show obvious signs of dying ?
Wiggling (or trying to) the end of the compressor shaft will reliably tell you it's general condition.. that and a massive fog bank behind your car.
Hi thanks for replying and sorry for not getting back too you sooner.

I didn't know I need a pair or special purpose ring pliers for the turbo rebuild. I'll have to pick up a pair of those at some point.

I'm Aero isn't showing any symptoms of a worn out turbo at the moment. No screeching, oil blowing, or blue smoke. I'll check for play in the compressor shaft tomorrow, but all seems well for time being.

I guess my question is, does it make sense to preemptively rebuild a turbo given that I don't know the history of the turbo I'm currently running or should I just wait until I starting seeing the symptoms above?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.