SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Would love to hear opinions/experience with this:

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=2317
I only ever seen their strut bar installed, and since its a solid unit with no flex points the guy who had it on his car said it made it handle like a dream. But he did have some initial issues as it stiffened up his front and pointed out the weaker components in his suspension.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guy that parked next to me at Carlisle had their front strut bar, from the shape of it. Interesting.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
I have a 2000 with the strut brace and love it. My new to me 04 Arc feels floppy and unsettled without one. Only problem is it is block remval of the DIC.

The frame brace personally would not do unless you had poly sub frame bushings. The stock bushings are soft and flex too much breaking the support welds in the brace as posted here previously.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The frame brace personally would not do unless you had poly sub frame bushings. The stock bushings are soft and flex too much breaking the support welds in the brace as posted here previously.
+1 on this. I had the brace installed and it broke within a month. A bunch of others had the same thing happen. Norm95 is right - there is a lot of movement on the subframe and this brace tries to restrict that movement. Great in theory but really you need to upgrade to the poly subframe bushings to do it the right way. Of course, once you upgrade to those, you won't even need the brace at all. The very few who have installed the poly subframe bushings say that it transforms the car into a different beast altogether...

Cheers

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 on this. I had the brace installed and it broke within a month. A bunch of others had the same thing happen. Norm95 is right - there is a lot of movement on the subframe and this brace tries to restrict that movement. Great in theory but really you need to upgrade to the poly subframe bushings to do it the right way. Of course, once you upgrade to those, you won't even need the brace at all. The very few who have installed the poly subframe bushings say that it transforms the car into a different beast altogether...

Cheers
Thanks!

Did you make it up to Carlisle? I was hoping to run into you there.

I guess I will start with the poly bushings and see if I even need to go with the subframe brace.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks!

Did you make it up to Carlisle? I was hoping to run into you there.

I guess I will start with the poly bushings and see if I even need to go with the subframe brace.
Sadly no man :( I had to fly down to Florida Thursday thru Sunday, which was tentative so that's why I wasn't sure about Carlisle. I was really sad to miss it, and both my SAABs were sitting at home so I couldn't even drive them until I got back.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly no man :( I had to fly down to Florida Thursday thru Sunday, which was tentative so that's why I wasn't sure about Carlisle. I was really sad to miss it, and both my SAABs were sitting at home so I couldn't even drive them until I got back.
I kind of figured that you would have recognized your EVOs and said hello... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts