SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 900 SE Turbo and given gas prices having been thinking about whether there is a chip out there that can up the gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You can go faster but not more economicaly with software. Some evidence suggests that free flowing exhausts and intercoolers will up the mpg slightly though.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Shirozina said:
You can go faster but not more economicaly with software. Some evidence suggests that free flowing exhausts and intercoolers will up the mpg slightly though.
drive slower, and use less right foot lol

funny thing is I've been able to drive 400 miles on just over a 1/2 tank, so saabs have the ability to get really good gas mileage, all depends on your driving habits

btw i did it going to redondo beach this summer, I just let it cruise at 65 mph all the way there (got stuck in traffic fo 30 mins too), i love the sid too, giving me the time to destination was awesome, pretty accurate too,

when i try i get about 24-26 mph combined

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Shirozina said:
You can go faster but not more economicaly with software.
Every ECU upgrade I have done has yielded an increase in economy (once the "yippee - I can fly" sensation has worn off) This has been most noticable on my manual car although even the thirsty auto improved a bit.

I recently used a 9-3 courtesy car and it returned 5mpg less than my "lightly tuned" 9-5

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
(once the "yippee - I can fly" sensation has worn off)
Erm, when will this be exactly? I'm worried that I still have this sensation after two years: Is this normal :confused:

:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
"I've been able to drive 400 miles on just over a 1/2 tank" - thats impossible:eek: unless it was a vey big hill you were coasting down:lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
Erm, when will this be exactly? I'm worried that I still have this sensation after two years: Is this normal :confused:

:cheesy:
Makes two of us, does this mean perhaps we are normal after all?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Shirozina said:
"I've been able to drive 400 miles on just over a 1/2 tank" - thats impossible:eek: unless it was a vey big hill you were coasting down:lol:
Yes, but he didn't say 'which' half of the tank :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
He is full of KAKA, I get 24.7 MPG. That is with a 51 mile trip to work and back. That trip is mostly high way. So I get 419.9 miles to one tank of petrol. For MFYoung to have gotten 400 miles to half a tank he would have to get 47 MPG. If he can do that for real then let us all in on your secret friend because gas prices are whipping my ?ss.
?=A, just incase anybody didn't pick up on that;)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
people with stage 3 have been get 40+ mpg once they stop flooring the pedal effecting timing tuned with the hardware

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Like I say, I still havn't got past the 'flooring the pedal' stage ;oops: :D

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Corn Cob said:
He is full of KAKA, I get 24.7 MPG. That is with a 51 mile trip to work and back. That trip is mostly high way. So I get 419.9 miles to one tank of petrol. For MFYoung to have gotten 400 miles to half a tank he would have to get 47 MPG. If he can do that for real then let us all in on your secret friend because gas prices are whipping my ?ss.
?=A, just incase anybody didn't pick up on that;)
over 3 9000's i consistently get 32-33mpg if i set cruise at 65 on the highway, but since i normally drive with it on 75 i get 29-30. every car has then had stage 4 on it from sqr, and the optimal mileage is gained between 73-77mph. with cruise on about 74 or 75 i easily saw 34-35mpg, more when i had larger injectors since they could be scaled way back for cruising.

·
Registered
933 Posts
So if I chuck my MBC and grow up and get an ECU my fuel economy will increase? If this is true I need to have a talk with my wife, well honey my economy will improve so I will be saving money in the long run. Even if not true I plan on using this as a bargaining chip.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
just say after 12000 miles the chip pays for itself :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
I drive 350 miles per week that is sooner rather than later, it probally is cheaper for me to buy it than to not buy it, now just getting my wife to buy it(my reasoning not the ECU).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
With my summer wheels/tires I get 31mpg average. With the winter tires/wheels (I get 28mpg).

2000 Viggen 3dr
Powerchips ECU

Rogo

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I drive an 02 convertible, unmodified as yet, and commute 130 miles a day. With the top down and averaging 70 when not in traffic I can still get 26-27.5 mpg.

When I keep the top up and go a bit lighter on the gas; I can get 32 easy. If I can do it in a vert; anyone here ought to be able to :cheesy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts