SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good bulb to replace the stock headlights and fog lights. Does anyone know a good one to use, with better light output and without an insane price?

Please don't say Silverstars; as I have tried those in both headlights and fog lights, and I have now blown 3 of them in less than 2 months... 2 headlight bulbs and 1 fog light bulb. I will never use these things again. :evil:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well,

I work for NAPA, and One of the job perks is being able to abuse salesmen from different companies. I have hit up both the Wagner and Phillips reps. That being said, I have tried:

In the Wagner line:

1) regular halogen

2) Long Life halogen

3) Brite Light halogen

4) Lazer Blue halogen

5) TruView halogen

And in the Phillips line:

1) Crystal View

2) NGS? something or other.... this one was REALLY BAD

The two in the Phillips line retailed out for $30-$40 per pair and I would not use either if you GAVE them to me.

In the Wagner line, the Lazer blue were the worst, and Brite Lights were OK.

Of all that I tried, the TruViews were by far the best I have tried. These I think were about $25.00 for the pair.

Take all of this as you see fit, your results may vary:D

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Osram is well thought of, they too make the SilverStar, if fact I believe they own Silvania..

Osram Rally+ 65 is recommended...:cheesy:
Avoid going way over 55/60 , the insulation cannot take the heat....

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
The Europeans have some good bulbs. The exchange rate has made them a little more expensive than they used to be, but the Philips Extreme Vision and the Osram Night Breakers are both very good, better than what we have in the US.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks folks; I'll check these out. Hopefully not as disappointing as the Sylvanias were :lol:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have the Osram 65+. Good bulb, its not insanly brighter than others, there is a difference. The main thing is that you get a longer wider spectrum of light. I bought them from candle power

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
99Saabnut -
Please don't quote me 100% on this -

Look on e-bay for silverstars (i know you said not to mention) but listen -
the ones we get here in the US are knock-offs.

You have to find the real ones from the EU.
they last longer and they are brighter.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
The Silverstars we get here are made in Germany just like the Osrams they sell in Europe. They only add a blue tint to ours to make them look a little whiter. I've had both in my car, and honestly I didn't notice a significant difference between the two in brightness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts