SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is with the colder months creeping upon us, and me buying my new 18's this past Friday, which brings up another question I will ask later. I will have my 15x6.5" 5 spokes and I am wanting to put studdable winter tires on these wheels. My question is what do you use or recommend, and with them being 6.5" wide what size should I go with 195, 205, 215, 55, 60, 65? Personally I was looking at the Hankook Winter IPikes. Let me mind you were I live we get more ice/sleet or "Slush" then snow. My other question is has anyone ever bought from www.wheelsandcaps.com. I went on there early this past Friday morning and placed an order for my G6 GTP 18's and its Sunday and I haven't gotten and email nor has the money been withdrawn from my account. I am wondering if my order even went thru, Should I just be patient and give them another day or two and see what happends, or should I wait tell tomorrow around 4pm knowing they stop taking calls after 5, and call them up??

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A good friend of mine works for a ford service center, and out of all the tires he can get/use he uses the Ipikes, and also recommends them over any other winter tire. Another good friend of mine is a manager at discount tire, and he also recommended that I go with the Ipikes for my winter tire. I will be running the Ipikes on my stockers this year although I have the 16 inch wheels and I run a 215/55R16. I have not driven on them yet with my car, but I have driven both of their cars with the Ipikes and I did feel rather safe. I live in Colorado btw, so our winters may not be quite a harsh as yours.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm on 18s now but have my stock rims with Yokohama ig20 205/55r16 winters mounted and ready to go. If you want to go to 15" your best fit will be a 195/65r15. You'll be only 1.3% from stock diameter. 3% variation is the limit.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good friend of mine works for a ford service center, and out of all the tires he can get/use he uses the Ipikes, and also recommends them over any other winter tire. Another good friend of mine is a manager at discount tire, and he also recommended that I go with the Ipikes for my winter tire. I will be running the Ipikes on my stockers this year although I have the 16 inch wheels and I run a 215/55R16. I have not driven on them yet with my car, but I have driven both of their cars with the Ipikes and I did feel rather safe. I live in Colorado btw, so our winters may not be quite a harsh as yours.
I have been reading good reviews on the IPikes, and feeling safer in my car is a big plus in my book. Thanks for giving me go info on them, I am for sure going to buy a set now just wanted to get a few opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on 18s now but have my stock rims with Yokohama ig20 205/55r16 winters mounted and ready to go. If you want to go to 15" your best fit will be a 195/65r15. You'll be only 1.3% from stock diameter. 3% variation is the limit.
I have 15's stock I just know that some people have the 16's. I know your supposed to go narrower on the width with winter tires. I was thinking 60 or 65 series and the manual says to get the 195/65/15 but I am thinking that sounds too narrow maybe 205/65/15 instead? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
568 Posts
You mentioned that your winter is more slushy than snowy. That is a good reason to stick to the slightly narrower 195/65. It will cut through the slush as opposed to hydroplaning over the top. A narrower tire is always more effective when dealing with slush or wet, deep snow. Also, it's a good idea to stick with the recommended size, the engineers' suggested size is probably well researched.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mentioned that your winter is more slushy than snowy. That is a good reason to stick to the slightly narrower 195/65. It will cut through the slush as opposed to hydroplaning over the top. A narrower tire is always more effective when dealing with slush or wet, deep snow. Also, it's a good idea to stick with the recommended size, the engineers' suggested size is probably well researched.
Thanks, now I understand why to go with such a narrow tire I will see if they have that size in the IPikes. +1 to the engineers.;ol;

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I put my snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzak) on steel wheels and have wheel covers for them. We get a lot of potholes and steel deals with those better. Also, you want to avoid wheels with a lot of open area as snow and ice can pack in there.

As I've been running the same set of WS-50s for seven years, I think it's time to get new tires even though the tread is still good. Either WS-70 or Michelin X-Ice2 I think. Ice traction is important, but I don't want studs.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Also, you want to avoid wheels with a lot of open area as snow and ice can pack in there.
Thats the exact reason I HAVE open snow wheels, to aid in removing snow from them. When its packed in, I dont want to lay on my back and reach around the back of the wheel in the freezing cold! Steelies are great for duribility, but around here, snow WILL pack in and they are not easy to clear out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Silver0393
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing