SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group, please don't flame me for posting about the belt! I know it should be changed at 60k.

So I just bought a '01 9-5 wagon with 103,000 miles for $3500. My wife loves the car but Saab doesn't have any record of dealer repairs so I don't know if the belt has been changed yet. I can't afford to get it done anytime soon though.

What are the statistics on belt life after 60k? Is there no possibility that the original belt could have made it to 103,000 miles?

And if you're running a belt with over 60k, how many miles are you at? If you've had one break, when did it break?

Thanks so much group!

--Reuben

--'01 9-5 wagon
--'96 9000 CS
--'95 9000 CSE
--'88 9000 Turbo
Yup, still got 'em all!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guess I better check the manual. I've owned the car since 52k miles and I just hit 80k miles. Didn't realize it was due.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I got my Saab with a little over 100K mile on it. I never knew if the belt had been changed during the major maintenance intervals. I was to busy dealing with other little annoyances, i.e. CPS, Fuel Pump, Coolant bypass valve, Turbo.:roll:

I finally got to it about 5 months later. The belt was worn but not horribly. Having it done made made feel a whole lot better though, the ticking sounds (imagine a time bomb)in my subconscious got a little quieter. Then my radiator blew a seal. :eek: In short--wait if you must-- but get it done. ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Mine broke at 113K when one of the pulleys finally siezed up completely after several weeks of whining. I was on my way to the repair shop when it broke.

I have no idea if the belt was original or not since I am not the first owner of the car.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Are you guys talking about serpentine drive belts or cambelts.

I thought the OP was about cambelts but I thought 95 had timing/balance chains like the 2.3 9000 model.

Please educate me.

I have wondered about buying a 98 2.3 95.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
On my NG 900, similar set up on the drive belt, there was no warning.

Only way to check is remove belt and test the pulleys, or better still replace them.

Mine went at 120000km. Pulley seized, and broke the drive belt. Left me stranded.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Are you guys talking about serpentine drive belts or cambelts.

I thought the OP was about cambelts but I thought 95 had timing/balance chains like the 2.3 9000 model.

Please educate me.

I have wondered about buying a 98 2.3 95.
The 3.0 V6 has a timing belt, the 2.0 & 2.3 4 cylinder engine has a chain.

·
Banned
250 Posts
You mean the Cam Belt ? Well my Peugeot diesel had a belt from 101k to 302k then it snapped. LUCKILY it didn't damage the valves. You should get it changed very soon though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I changed my belt at (04 linear) at 130,000 MI. The tensioner had been making a hell of a whining noise too so i changed that. Both very simple with the right tools. you should be able to look at the belt and determine how much life it has left. If it's not dried out or cracked you should be fine

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I changed my belt at (04 linear) at 130,000 MI.
You're talking about the serpentine belt. The thread started out discussing the V6 timing belt.

Still, serpentine belt/idler pulley every 60k miles, the tensioner and center pulley each should go 120k miles (they're larger).

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
You're talking about the serpentine belt. The thread started out discussing the V6 timing belt.

Still, serpentine belt/idler pulley every 60k miles, the tensioner and center pulley each should go 120k miles (they're larger).
Yes sorry to confuse the issue - it wasn't clear to me that it was a V6 -
Maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Hello group, please don't flame me for posting about the belt! I know it should be changed at 60k.

So I just bought a '01 9-5 wagon with 103,000 miles for $3500. My wife loves the car but Saab doesn't have any record of dealer repairs so I don't know if the belt has been changed yet. I can't afford to get it done anytime soon though.

What are the statistics on belt life after 60k? Is there no possibility that the original belt could have made it to 103,000 miles?

And if you're running a belt with over 60k, how many miles are you at? If you've had one break, when did it break?

Thanks so much group!

--Reuben
Rueban, Saab pays for the first belt ( regardless of miles) and if they paid already they will have info on Isis, if not your belt is free..

Socall the dealer and tell them your car has 60 k on it, have them look it up and tell you- you have to do this first to see if they think they will cover it because it will sometimes it will take them a while to figure out they will and you can find out if they will before you commit and otherwise they will let you konw if you have 60 k or 113k on teh belt- good luck)

·
Registered
161 Posts
When i took the car, the first thing i did was to change the timing belt on my V6 2003. The previous owner had it change at 59000 miles. I changed there everything all the pulleys, bracket, timing belt and the water pump, then also the serpentine belt with the idler pulley. You should do it. Is not difficult on the V6. Change everything there so you don't have to worry anymore.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Rueban, Saab pays for the first belt ( regardless of miles)
:nono;:nono;:nono;

The initial "free" change is at 60K +/- 2k. Beyond 62k miles, it's no longer a free replacement. And Saab only covers the parts and labor on the T-belt replacement. The tensioner/idler pulleys, water pump, don't get replaced unless you pay for the parts and additional labor. :cry:

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Nathan 9⁵;1714490 said:
:nono;:nono;:nono;

The initial "free" change is at 60K +/- 2k. Beyond 62k miles, it's no longer a free replacement. And Saab only covers the parts and labor on the T-belt replacement. The tensioner/idler pulleys, water pump, don't get replaced unless you pay for the parts and additional labor. :cry:
They did my meighbors at 89K and a few others after the 69.5. the belt was not a warranty item but a special serivice. IIRC it states, the first belt change is free and does not state the miles on that item.,

If you have a dealer tell you toherwise you endd to call saab (not that there is a saab again)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice group!

First off, the belt is only covered between 58k and 62k not irregardless of mileage as one person said. (intentional bushism used)
Looks like I'm gonna have to pay the $$$ and get it done this week if possible since the idea that it could break at any time is not sitting well with my wife and baby.

So it's not that difficult of a job? Really? I'll need about $75 in special tools, right? No need to pull the engine?

I'll have to look at some DIY procedures and see if I can do it. Or should I just let the belt break and kill the moronic idiodic V-6 engine so I can swap a real engine (2.3) in there? Or is the 3.0-2.3 swap a pain?

Thanks again group!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Thanks for all the advice group!

First off, the belt is only covered between 58k and 62k not irregardless of mileage as one person said. (intentional bushism used)
Looks like I'm gonna have to pay the $$$ and get it done this week if possible since the idea that it could break at any time is not sitting well with my wife and baby.

So it's not that difficult of a job? Really? I'll need about $75 in special tools, right? No need to pull the engine?

I'll have to look at some DIY procedures and see if I can do it. Or should I just let the belt break and kill the moronic idiodic V-6 engine so I can swap a real engine (2.3) in there? Or is the 3.0-2.3 swap a pain?

Thanks again group!
Next to impossible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts