SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In browsing through other Saab forums, I've seen quite a few posts about knocking or bumping the ignition switch causing intermittent power loss problems. I've even had a mechanic tell me a client with a very weighty bunch of keys caused a problem with intermittent power failures while driving, hard starting etc .... Has anyone experienced these issues?

Resolutions to these problems seem to range anywhere from, faulty ignition switches to failing instrument clusters, fuel pumps and relays. Apparently faulty or failing ignitions were common before Saab upgraded the part a few years back?

I'd be interested to know how many people have experienced sudden power failures while driving and what the culprit turned out to be?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It hasn't come up too often in this forum, a few times. I think their was a thread about it a few weeks ago, may want to try searching for it for greater detail. Some earlier NG900's had problems with the electrical contacts within the switch, I believe Saab eventually updated the design for the later years of the NG900. Their is a TSB out there for it. The problem usually rears its head as accessories going out while driving, cruise control, heated seats, climate control, horn, etc. I've never heard of the engine itself cutting out. I had similar trouble for a while last year, but that ended up just being the transmission earthing point needing to be cleaned. If I can get my hands on the TSB again I'll post it for you.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
OK, so they sent me the technical service bulletin, but one of the pages is missing, and the page I do have was cut off. They've sent me another copy, but its at the office 30 miles away and I won't be back in until next week. PM me next week about it and once I have it I'll scan and email it to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks. That's good of you! Yep, i did see one post recently about someone with similar symptons. Ended up he did the switch himself ! if I was a betting man, I'd say mine is the same problem ;)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
jads said:
if I was a betting man, I'd say mine is the same problem ;)
What are your symptons? Loss of electronic assessories? Engine even? Describe please :cheesy:

Edit: here is my attempt at deciphering the first page of the TSB:
"Saab 900 models, it is possible to lose certain functions in the electrical system due to binding in the ignition lock mechanism. If the lock mechanism binds, the ignition switch could remain in an intermediate position not returning all the way back to the Drive position after starting. When the ignition switch is in this intermediate position the loss of some of the car's electrical system functions is possible. Follow the instructions below to remedy this problem:
1. Remove the center console to access the ignition lock cylinder and switch mechanism. Refer to Service Manual 4:1 for more detailed instructions.
2. Lubricate the ignition lock cylinder and switch mechanism using ordinary motor oil. Adjust the lock cylinder, if necessary, according to service manual 4:1."

Hmm, guess I don't really need that third page afterall. Well theirs a start for ya.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
2. Lubricate the ignition lock cylinder and switch mechanism using ordinary motor oil. Adjust the lock cylinder, if necessary, according to service manual 4:1."

This may be misconstrued as lubricating the lock cylinder tumblers where the key enters..
"motor oil" must never be used here !
I usually use graphite lock oil here once every 100,000 miles..
Not only that, but this (ignition switch area) should be a lubrication free area.
Can you imagine having to repeat this every 1,000 miles , or even 10,000 miles!!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I had a similar "power failure" issue. It was a bad (and shorting out) crank sensor.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
CleveSaab said:
I had a similar "power failure" issue. It was a bad (and shorting out) crank sensor.
This crank sensor seems to be in a hostile environment (exhaust heat) and corrosion..

Cleveland, do you think I could remove this, test it, clean it up some to any benefit ???.

All is fine with the bluebird - about 80-85 mph up Reesers Summit where the Mercedes maxed out at 65 and the VW at 55 (both Diesels) and 26 mpg..., not shabby for an old automatic and no-turbo..

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
earthworm said:
Cleveland, do you think I could remove this, test it, clean it up some to any benefit ???
I don't even know where it's at. ;oops: That was before I was willing to work on it. Local garage discovered it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
CleveSaab said:
I don't even know where it's at.
Perhaps this is it? On the block on the battery side circled in red:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slaab4life said:
What are your symptons? Loss of electronic assessories? Engine even? Describe please :cheesy:
Slaab,

the symptons are intermittent over the last 3 months or so - but getting more frequent.

- Stalled in traffic. Eventually restarted after 5 or 6 tries
- Stalled again the same day. Started first time.
- Stalled a few weeks later with a blown instrument fuse (controlling, Auto, SID, gauges, etc) Replaced fuse and restarted.

Current draw, fuel system all tested fine. General performance and idling are fine. The TSB you provided seems to point in the general direction: "intermittent electrical failures"

·
Registered
1 Posts
no dash ligths, no fuel pump sound engine cranking

hi, our saab 900se turbo 2lt 1998 started and the dashboard light went dim. Now the car cranks but dashboard light does not come on and the fuel pump does not make the usual buzz sound.

·
Registered
18,527 Posts
hi, our saab 900se turbo 2lt 1998 started and the dashboard light went dim. Now the car cranks but dashboard light does not come on and the fuel pump does not make the usual buzz sound.
Start a new thread of your own and describe the conditions... someone will help you step by step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts