SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So, I am checking out a Saab today that the guy is selling way below KBB, market, and even trade in value.

If the car checks out mechanically, I'm going to pick it up and flip it. It looks like a nice 4-door beauty so we'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I already have a 2001 9-5 Aero ;)

Its a 2002 9-3, 4dr, tan int/grey ext w/ 85k for $6000.

My guess is that I can sell it from $8-10k, depending on who its marketed to.

Sure, its a risk.. but isnt that the excitement of it? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm... I am kind looking around for a second Saab. Early 5 door 9³ SE with a manual transmission (or Viggen :) ). A 2002 would be ideal. If you don't go for it, would you mind sharing the info?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Definitely, especially if it is lacking in minor areas. My current Saab is my 5th car in 2 years....I managed to get from a '93 Mazda 626 to my '96 SET by keeping each car for a few months, fixing and cleaning them up as I went. If licensing/registration wasn't so costly I'd do it a lot more often. :)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I checked out the car.

Mechanically, its sound. Looks like they kept good care of it that way.

Cosmetically, not perfect. A few dings, fogs don't work, missing emblem on the back and a bad one in the front, SID is pretty much unreadable. Needs a nice clean up too.

The bad part is that its a salvage title, which wasn't disclosed to me. The guy mentioned that his dad bought it at an auction and the door had to be replaced on one side. It looked alright, but I noticed more than just that side was resprayed so theres more story to the car than I know.

If I was buying the car for myself, id try to get away with $5500 and I think I could do it.. I believe its a solid car. However if I am going to flip it, I don't think its the right car to do, so I am going to pass.

Baysailer, do you want the info? The car is in CA, quite far from you and its not a rare one...

·
Registered
13 Posts
sethsev7n said:
Baysailor, do you want the info? The car is in CA, quite far from you and its not a rare one...
Ha... nah... that is a bit far. I had looked at your location designation of PA and figured it would be much closer. A couple hundred miles wouldn't be a problem... a couple thousand would be! :eek:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
sethsev7n said:
The bad part is that its a salvage title, which wasn't disclosed to me. The guy mentioned that his dad bought it at an auction and the door had to be replaced on one side. It looked alright, but I noticed more than just that side was resprayed so theres more story to the car than I know.
Thats the clincher right there. It is very very very hard to resell as a salvage title vehicle. 6K is WAY too much for a salvage titled car, expecially since you don't kow the full history. I don't think the seller would be able to get 3.5K out of it.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stamonkey said:
Thats the clincher right there. It is very very very hard to resell as a salvage title vehicle. 6K is WAY too much for a salvage titled car, expecially since you don't kow the full history. I don't think the seller would be able to get 3.5K out of it.

That's what I am thinking.. shame really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts