SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some info, verly little but some, here and on saabnet about a junction in the wiring harness, referred to as J16, in which 3 or 4 wires come together and how the crimp there is faulty and causing CEL like P0140 which means no activity with the rear O2 sensor. Has anyone performed this fix and have any details or pics?

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
yea, I did it on my 02 project as well

A bit of a pain in the neck undoing, cutting, splicing (and soldering) the wire in tight quarters is difficult.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did this about a year ago. My mechanic didn't believe me. It wasn't too bad. The hardest part, if I remember, was removing the cowl covers, trim pieces, and hood gasket. The actual repair was easy to do. I wish I had done it years earlier because I had the "check engine" light on for years and my mechanic just threw his hands up. I have pictures I can email you if you need them. They are on a camera at the moment.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If the junction is a plug connector, before trying to rewire and solder everything, you could try a product called Stabilant 22 in the connectors. It is highly conductive and may solve your problem. It is very expensive- around $100 for a one oz bottle but you use it very sparingly so one oz probably would be a lifetime supply. Read about it on the 9-3 forum.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If the junction is a plug connector, before trying to rewire and solder everything, you could try a product called Stabilant 22 in the connectors. It is highly conductive and may solve your problem. It is very expensive- around $100 for a one oz bottle but you use it very sparingly so one oz probably would be a lifetime supply. Read about it on the 9-3 forum.
I am sure that would not work. IT IS NOT A PLUG CONNECTOR. We are talking about a crimped connector that is potted and covered with heat shrink tubing.

A grey and a blue wire come all the way from the O2 sensor connector, and are spliced to a black wire that goes to pin 3 on the ECU connector. The copper wires and the brass crimp corrode and this circuit has less than 1 volt in it.

You cut out the corroded connection and solder the wires together and cover with heat shrink tubing.

·
Registered
8,289 Posts
I am sure that would not work. IT IS NOT A PLUG CONNECTOR. We are talking about a crimped connector that is potted and covered with heat shrink tubing.

It could if the Stabilent seeps into the crimp and the corrosion can be cleaned that way. i would have tired that if thought of it before doing the repair to see, way easier for sure

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It could if the Stabilent seeps into the crimp and the corrosion can be cleaned that way. i would have tired that if thought of it before doing the repair to see, way easier for sure
How can it seep into the crimp? the crimp is sealed with potting compound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brilliant, I've had a recurring P1141 for years, changed sensors, the cat etc on my 2002 9.5. Saw this post, re-soldered the wires and the light went out instantly. Thankyou so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts